Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping modem / sim from Korea to USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

There are a few threads here on sim swaps I remember. Check my post in the following thread where I link to a few of them:

With that being said, I have not seen anything about swapping sims enabling navigation information, etc so if thats what you are after, I dont think that is going to enable that.

Reactions: bannedgoose
Hello,

There are a few threads here on sim swaps I remember. Check my post in the following thread where I link to a few of them:

With that being said, I have not seen anything about swapping sims enabling navigation information, etc so if thats what you are after, I dont think that is going to enable that.
Thats what Tesla said. But i think swapping the whole modem should make 100% compatible. Do you anyone who has done the complete modem swap?

The extent of my knowledge on this topic is extremely limited, and is basically relegated to the threads I mentioned in post #6 of the thread I linked above.
Thanks a lot. Apparently the MCU is delivered with the SIM card and I have an appointment next week. Hopefully they can resolve my compatibility issues. Its ridiculous a Tesla built in Fremont is so difficult to become compatible with the US standard. I could understand if the car was shipped TO a foreign country, then sure that would be more complicated, but I can literally drive my car to Fremont, but yet no one knows how to properly install the modem/sim? Very annoyed tbh.

I have video proof, but cant seem to upload here.

- Car was bought, and took delivery in Korea, built in Fremont.
- Shipped to the states a few months ago.
- Brought car to Milford, Connecticut CS to correctly replace and configure my vehicle for US standards.
- Sat there a week, multiple delays, finally marked as completed.
- Picked up car, no navigation
- GM is "looking into my ticket"

Driving a Tesla, without its billion dollar AI invested computer. LOL ****ing JOKEEEEEEEEEEEE

1700018019544.png

Wow a guy who has 10,124 post just comments ok? on this serious matter?

What else are you expecting? You imported a car (where it was manufactured is not really relevant, it was manufactured for sale in korea, where you bought it), and now navigation does not work outside of the country it was sold in.

There isnt anything else for anyone online to say here except "ok" or "good luck with that", so I will say "good luck, I hope they figure out how to change regions for you, even though that does not seem to be a service Tesla normally provides"

Reactions: bannedgoose
What else are you expecting? You imported a car (where it was manufactured is not really relevant, it was manufactured for sale in korea, where you bought it), and now navigation does not work outside of the country it was sold in.

There isnt anything else for anyone online to say here except "ok" or "good luck with that", so I will say "good luck, I hope they figure out how to change regions for you, even though that does not seem to be a service Tesla normally provides"
You are speaking on a matter you have no knowledge about, mod.

it has been done before.

you really think they cant fix my car.......................... its in the country of WHERE THE CAR WAS ****ING BUILT DUDE.

Now, if it was vice versa, yes im sure its way more complicated. This is not the case. If i have to tow my car to California. I will.

I have found no references of people getting navigation working when moving a car from one country to another. With or without Teslas help. And most said Tesla would/could not help. The general suggestion is to sell and purchase in the new country. But many countries also have charge port differences.

I’m wondering if there a licensing issue with the map data.

I did find references to the maps working one sim cars are changed.

hope you have more success than others.

Last edited:
you really think they cant fix my car.......................... its in the country of WHERE THE CAR WAS ****ING BUILT DUDE.

Now, if it was vice versa, yes im sure its way more complicated. This is not the case. If i have to tow my car to California. I will.

You are being more aggressive than we allow here, this isnt reddit. I also dont understand the direction of your post since all I did was wish you good luck, and say it appears this is not something Tesla offers. There is no "definitive statement" there.

In any case I will say again "good luck".

I have found no references of people getting navigation working when moving a car from one country to another. With or without Teslas help. And most said Tesla would/could not help. The general suggestion is to sell and purchase in the new country. But many countries also have charge port differences.

I’m wondering if there a licensing issue with the map data.

I did find references to the maps working one sim cars are changed.

hope you have more success than others.
sim card was already changed.