Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SXM not working.. taken to shop 4x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, just wanted to ask if anyone has any issues with the SXM radio not working. It seems to not pick up the signal and then it never comes back. I assume if there is a dead pocket it would pick it back up right away.

I took it to the shop 4x.. this is the 4th time and they still can't reproduce it and now charing me $795 for labor because they can't find any issue.

I can't call because there is no number to call and they don't reply to my text. I am not sure what else to do.

The car is great, service is horrible when you have a problem.

If you want them to reply to a text, you have use the app to open a work ticket. Once they acknowledge the work request, it will allow you to open a discussion with them. You can continue to text/reply to them for about 24 hours after the work request ticket is closed. Then its start over.

If you were to ask me that question, I'd say its one of two things. Either a XM reception issue, or something wrong with the radio. Do all the same channels behave the same way? Sounds like reception. Just one channel? Something wrong with radio. If you find it on just one channel, I would make a point of trying to find more than one it works and more than one it does not work in the dead pocket.

Try rebooting the car, and see if that bring XM back in dead pocket. That might help SC determine if its radio.

Keep in mind, SC's don't have some special device to test XM signals, except another car.

Have you talked to XM people and told them of the problem?

It's an ongoing issue in my car.
Sometimes I lose XM for 45 seconds. Sometimes it's 3 hours.
But it always eventually comes back.
Since it is what I listen to 99% of the time, even losing it a little is frustrating and a huge contrast to the rest of the car.

Reactions: Akikiki
I've had periodic loss of XM (all channels) since I picked up my car in September, 2019. Reset doesn't resolve the issue. Other music sources continue to work. Radios have been in cars since 1930. Disappointing that Tesla can't get this to work reliably, but I still love my X!

• Disagree
Reactions: rbgliny
I’ve had this problem too. It seems to vary with software updates. The quick fix to bring it back right away is to “power off” the car then restart. Reboots don’t work but a power off then on cycle fixes it every time.

It is definitely a Tesla problem, not a SXM problem as none of my other three, non-Tesla vehicles have this signal dropping problem.

Since SXM subscriptions allow you to use their smartphone app, I’m probably going to drop the subscription on my Tesla and just use the app through my phone to listen to SXM.