Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail light condensation out of warranty - worth the cost to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's $275 in my local market. I'm no car expert in any way so I'm not sure if it's something I should just leave as-is, or ask a local mechanic to help out. Tesla won't just remove the fixture and wipe it away, they only want to replace it. Due to significant recent home repair expenses, it's just not in my budget right now unfortunately to pay Tesla for a new part, so I'm trying to understand my best course of action.

Pickup the appropriate part for your model year/region off eBay motors and install on your own.

Whether its its inner our outter housing or both sides, the cost of as-new or gently used uncracked parts on eBay (usually off crashed cars) is significantly less. You can easily find both inner or outter assemblies for $80/each. Good luck.

The tailights are prone to stress cracks, water ingress etc so its likely you will be repeating the exercise or have another section of the taillights fail in the not too distant future.

Reactions: mod3lWii
how far out of warranty are you? this happened to be while in warranty and they fixed it. Funny thing is there was 0 indication of a crack or leak anywhere. Maybe they will do it out of good-will or something like that. yea its something easy to fix, but its only temporary and will probably come back

how far out of warranty are you? this happened to be while in warranty and they fixed it. Funny thing is there was 0 indication of a crack or leak anywhere. Maybe they will do it out of good-will or something like that. yea its something easy to fix, but its only temporary and will probably come back
Not if you reseal it properly which again is stupid simple to do.

Resealing only helps so long as manufacturing stress cracks dont develop or are brought on by use of chemicals and/or the normal action of opening/closing the trunk.

Hairline or wider stress cracks and no reseal will help, only good for the sad excuse for factory seal on these assemblies.