Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just recently purchased a used 2019 M3P direct from Tesla. Being a Tesla CPO vehicle it comes with an extra 12 months warranty, but I'm wondering what happens after those 12 months are up.

Can I still use roadside assistance if I'm willing to pay? Obviously I know that I won't get anything for free, but will they still do things like arrange towing or other help if I'm prepared to pay for it?

Is Tesla the only option for repairs or are there "normal" mechanics that also work on Teslas? I've done a quick search for regular mechanics but didn't find anything. If you're a non-warranty job do you get put lower in the priority list? I read a story somewhere on this forum where someone with an out of warranty car was basically told by Tesla to go away and find someone else to do the work. Is this a common (or true) thing?

Basically I guess I'm asking if you can still use all the same systems/procedures/etc as an in-warranty car, but the only difference is that it's no longer free and they'll want money.

So I have a 2018 MX. Up at 211000km so out of warranty.
Can I still use roadside assistance if I'm willing to pay?
Yes, but it is stupidly expensive. Go get yourself a RAA/RACV/Other Membership to get you a flat bed tow to home.
Is Tesla the only option for repairs or are there "normal" mechanics that also work on Teslas?
Depends on what is wrong. EG Suspension, LV battery, Air Con (not heat) - anyone. HV Battery, Heat pump, inverter, etc - its really a tesla only place (for now)
If you're a non-warranty job do you get put lower in the priority list?
No, but they charge like a wounded bull. I had to get a 3 way valve replaced for my cooling loop. $40 for fill up, $300 for labor, $70 for more coolant, $72 for the part it self, $67 diagnostic...
Is this a common (or true) thing?
Not true., they treat everyone like crap equally.

I have just recently purchased a used 2019 M3P direct from Tesla. Being a Tesla CPO vehicle it comes with an extra 12 months warranty, but I'm wondering what happens after those 12 months are up.

Can I still use roadside assistance if I'm willing to pay? Obviously I know that I won't get anything for free, but will they still do things like arrange towing or other help if I'm prepared to pay for it?

Is Tesla the only option for repairs or are there "normal" mechanics that also work on Teslas? I've done a quick search for regular mechanics but didn't find anything. If you're a non-warranty job do you get put lower in the priority list? I read a story somewhere on this forum where someone with an out of warranty car was basically told by Tesla to go away and find someone else to do the work. Is this a common (or true) thing?

Basically I guess I'm asking if you can still use all the same systems/procedures/etc as an in-warranty car, but the only difference is that it's no longer free and they'll want money.

Correct. Roadside Assistance no longer free after warranty but you can use them.

Tesla would fix your car for a fee instead of free warranty and they won't touch your car in a few exceptions: Salvage Titles, third party modifications...

Thanks both for the replies.
they won't touch your car in a few exceptions: Salvage Titles, third party modifications...
Mine isn't a salvage title (at least I hope not), but what would those people do if they needed repairs? Basically they're on their own, and if they can't find a mechanic, tough luck, send the car to scrap?

What's considered a third party modification? I'm intending to install a towbar on a M3P which I believe is not approved by Tesla for towing. Does that count?

Correct. Roadside Assistance no longer free after warranty but you can use them.

Tesla would fix your car for a fee instead of free warranty and they won't touch your car in a few exceptions: Salvage Titles, third party modifications...

Lets not confuse terms in the Australian group, "Salvage Title" probably best described in Australia as being on the WOVR (Written-Off Vehicle Register), meaning its been written-off by an insurance company but is still deemed safe to repair, and a "Statutory Write off", meaning its been deemed to be damaged in such a way that its never eligible for registration in an Australian state or territory again.

A car on the WOVR can now as far as I am aware be checked by Tesla to be eligible again for use on the Supercharger network.

Lets not confuse terms in the Australian group, "Salvage Title" probably best described in Australia as being on the WOVR (Written-Off Vehicle Register), meaning its been written-off by an insurance company but is still deemed safe to repair, and a "Statutory Write off", meaning its been deemed to be damaged in such a way that its never eligible for registration in an Australian state or territory again.

A car on the WOVR can now as far as I am aware be checked by Tesla to be eligible again for use on the Supercharger network.

indeed. salvage title prohibition in aus/europe are largely to prevent cartheft and black market....

"...a salvaged vehicle or its equivalent pursuant to local jurisdiction or industry practice."

Thanks both for the replies.

Mine isn't a salvage title (at least I hope not), but what would those people do if they needed repairs? Basically they're on their own, and if they can't find a mechanic, tough luck, send the car to scrap?
Generic mechanics can do tire service... Specialized Do-It-Yourself can do other stuffs like the traction battery, MCU (the screen display), altering software codes...
What's considered a third party modification?
One may get a fancy suspension system or lower the car to look good... and Tesla might refuse to do the tire service (including wheel alignments...)
I'm intending to install a towbar on a M3P which I believe is not approved by Tesla for towing. Does that count?

Yes. But I haven't heard any complaints from owners who had that modification. That's a good excuse for Tesla to refuse warranty/service if they want to.

Hey @sjkjs,

That Tesla road side assistance sure is nice, but when your 3 is out of warranty it will cost you...

Check XCare out to extend your warranty and have peace of mind on the road! We offer 24/7 Roadside assistance, towing and rental cars.

Let us know if you have any questions! And congrats on your new Tesla!

-Team X Care

• Funny
Reactions: [Zombie]
Hey @sjkjs,

That Tesla road side assistance sure is nice, but when your 3 is out of warranty it will cost you...

Check XCare out to extend your warranty and have peace of mind on the road! We offer 24/7 Roadside assistance, towing and rental cars.

Let us know if you have any questions! And congrats on your new Tesla!

-Team X Care
Do you cover cars in Australia?

How was your experience buying used from Tesla? Did they let you see the car or send photos?
There were no photos and I couldn't see the car. Although I also didn't bother asking because I just assumed the answer would be no.

The experience was good. Everything went smoothly and the car even arrived a couple of days before the scheduled delivery date.

Cosmetic condition is very good. It obviously has some stone chips on the front like every car, but otherwise there is no damage.

The rear ultrasonic sensors are not working which is annoying because it shows that obviously didn't even test them. I've got a service appointment booked where I hope it will be a simple fix.

Reactions: SPadival