Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tailor-Made | 2018 Tesla Model X 75D | Quality Control Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

We’re so ecstatic to be a part of the Tesla family!

My wife and I decided to pull the trigger on the ideal family car...so we placed an order on a 2018 Model X 75D. The order was placed on August 17th and we received a confirmation email on August 20th with a VIN#. Delivery date is scheduled for September 25th. Very impressive turn-around time from Fremont, California!

Specs:

Pearl White Exterior
Vegan White Premium Interior
22” Onyx Black Wheels
Aluminum Alloy Performace Pedals
Carbon Fiber Trim
Six Seat Configuration(Without Center Console)
Enhanced Autopilot

Concerns:

We’ve read a lot of complaints online regarding the quality control on the past generation MX and the current models being delivered...

Any insight on Tesla’s quality control for 2018 MX’s??

Thank you!

Best,
OreoMX

Congrats ..I have early 2018 build X ...my quality was fine ....however the X is a complicated car as far as doors go ..those were early issues on 2016 builds but subsequently fixed ...there may be issues with panel gaps alignment etc on newer builds but it’s all perspective and what definition of “perfection” is ..I’m not expecting Lexus type fit and finish .. depending on what car you are coming from if u try and make comparisons based on price you will set yourself up for disappointment...that said Tesla does go above and beyond most car dealers and dealing with issues post sales so I wouldn’t be to worried ...great choice of options BTW !;)

• Love
Reactions: TexasRat
Thank you for the feedback, very helpful! Not too shabby either with your P85D’s specs!

We’ve been driving German for a very long time... Switching over from a Brabus to the MX and it’s probably a good idea to lower our expectations on the finish quality and just keep the eyes on the prize with all of it’s positives.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Hello All,

We’re so ecstatic to be a part of the Tesla family!

My wife and I decided to pull the trigger on the ideal family car...so we placed an order on a 2018 Model X 75D. The order was placed on August 17th and we received a confirmation email on August 20th with a VIN#. Delivery date is scheduled for September 25th. Very impressive turn-around time from Fremont, California!

Specs:

Pearl White Exterior
Vegan White Premium Interior
22” Onyx Black Wheels
Aluminum Alloy Performace Pedals
Carbon Fiber Trim
Six Seat Configuration(Without Center Console)
Enhanced Autopilot

Concerns:

We’ve read a lot of complaints online regarding the quality control on the past generation MX and the current models being delivered...

Thank you!

Best,
OreoMX

Congratulations. I am also awaiting delivery next week. Hope there are not much issues and I dint have to go back to the SC

Took delivery of mine on 8/3. Quality is generally good, mainly just a couple of paint defects and the steering not being aligned properly Tesla took care of those pretty quickly. Definitely not the best in terms of panel gaps and fit / finish but nothing too terrible, can definitely live with them.

Feb 18 delivered M X75D here. No real issues, but as above panel fits are not perfect, but not too bad either. Paint on mine (also Pearl White) was perfect. Overall the car is brilliant to live with. Just coming up to 10k miles now and loving every trip! Wife and kids love it too.

Reactions: P85_DA

The TMC is not an accurate source of Tesla quality control. 99.9% of the cars they spit out come out fine.

That being said, early build 2016 models had different falcon wing door sensors that wern't as good, door latches that were louder and rougher, panel gaps supposedly, etc. Buying a new model is always better as they've fine tuned smaller issues that might have been present in the past.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210 and P85_DA
I suspect any car has "defects" if you look hard enough. You can always find some area that could have been painted better, or a door trim perfectly (especially around the rear side windows because of the falcon doors may be slightly off.) or a weather striping that is not perfect. But that does not take away from the X being a unique vehicle that only a few get to experience.

• Love
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
I took delivery in Aug 2018, as others mentioned, I also have a few paint issues (pretty bad one too amongst them), spoiler issue, A/C, and FWD seal issues (my top concern as they have not been able to fix it, taking in to SC again - don't want water to put into the car). Overall, hate to deal with these issues on a brand new car, but very happy with my MX - nothing like it.

Congrats and enjoy the car when you have it! SC will fix issues, eventually if not the first time, if you happen to have any.

Reactions: mucanta and P85_DA
I suspect any car has "defects" if you look hard enough. You can always find some area that could have been painted better, or a door trim perfectly (especially around the rear side windows because of the falcon doors may be slightly off.) or a weather striping that is not perfect. But that does not take away from the X being a unique vehicle that only a few get to experience.
Exactly. Every car has imperfections to the properly trained eye. If you're able to see something slightly off by 1mm, you will notice it here. These cars probably all have slight misalignments at that level of detail. Now whether you let it bother you or not is a totally different issue and totally up to the buyer...