Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Question Is it true ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let's say you owe $10K in Federal taxes based upon your income. You withheld $10K already. If you bought a qualifying Tesla, you would get a $7500 refund. If you did not buy the Tesla, you would not owe any additional taxes, as your withholding matched your liability. Adjust up or down to match your situation.

I have a hard time believing too many folks can afford to buy a new Tesla and have less than $7500 in Federal tax liability.....
MOST American get refunds which means they overpay their tax

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
MOST American get refunds which means they overpay their tax
Whether a taxpayer overpays tax is irrelevant to this credit. If a taxpayer has a tax liability of at least $7,500, regardless of how much withholding was paid in or not paid in, and they purchase a qualifying vehicle and are under the income thresholds, they get the credit up the the amount of their tax liability. Period.

Can't tell whether you understand that or not from your prior posts, but you seem to be confusing people and at least one of your posts (#88) was dead wrong.

Whether a taxpayer overpays tax is irrelevant to this credit. If a taxpayer has a tax liability of at least $7,500, regardless of how much withholding was paid in or not paid in, and they purchase a qualifying vehicle and are under the income thresholds, they get the credit up the the amount of their tax liability. Period.

Can't tell whether you understand that or not from your prior posts, but you seem to be confusing people and at least one of your posts (#88) was dead wrong.
He continues to think he’s right, but he has no understanding and seems to not want to be educated on this no matter how many people try. So please just ignore him/her/they, as the case may be.

Reactions: Ratm68
Dude just stop. You're a ****ing idiot who has no idea what he's talking about. You're completely wrong. Just stop.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't give a sh*t anymore. I am waiting for someone to post their 1040 who has bought a new Tesla this year. As for asking CPAs advice or the dealer when I bought my first Prius in 2002 they didn't know diddly about it. My accountant missed the line on the FRONT of 1040 where my deduction REDUCED my AGI (like a 401K does). Seeing as how the world "progresses" I would venture a good number of CPAs dont know how this works.

I've read a number of articles how this works. I guess the info is wrong. But I find it hard to believe you will get a refund if your withholdings are close to what you owe. I'd really be interested to see a snapshot of someone's 1040 to see how this works.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't give a sh*t anymore. I am waiting for someone to post their 1040 who has bought a new Tesla this year. As for asking CPAs advice or the dealer when I bought my first Prius in 2002 they didn't know diddly about it. My accountant missed the line on the FRONT of 1040 where my deduction REDUCED my AGI (like a 401K does). Seeing as how the world "progresses" I would venture a good number of CPAs dont know how this works.
It works the way the 1040 instructions say it works. I’m sure 100% of all CPAs know how it works. You, however, apparently have no idea how it works. From what I can gather from your posts, you have never prepared your own taxes. I’ve done my own taxes, business and personal, since 1967 so I have a fair idea how tax credits work.

Reactions: BadTrainDriver
I've read a number of articles how this works. I guess the info is wrong. But I find it hard to believe you will get a refund if your withholdings are close to what you owe. I'd really be interested to see a snapshot of someone's 1040 to see how this works.
Nothing to do with withholding.

The credit reduces total tax. Effect only depends on underlying tax liability in lines 16 and 17, and other non-refundable credits taken in Lines 19 or 20.
As long as Line 22 would have been full credit or more you'll get the full amount of the credit, otherwise you'll lose some of it.
(Below is 2022. The New Clean Vehicle Credit won't apply until 2023, but based on the current wording it seems Form 8936 will also be used under the new rules.)

Withholding doesn't appear until Line 25.

1678830082487.png
N

1678830273754.png

Reactions: justinpursuit
It works the way the 1040 instructions say it works. I’m sure 100% of all CPAs know how it works. You, however, apparently have no idea how it works. From what I can gather from your posts, you have never prepared your own taxes. I’ve done my own taxes, business and personal, since 1967 so I have a fair idea how tax credits work.
I used to do my taxes into the 1990s. Then I went to a CPA. This year I used Turbo tax at half of what he charged me. I personally won't need a tax credit as my next car will NOT be covered under the IRA.

Tax credit is “upto” $7500 every year. If you owe $500 then your tax credit will only be $500. If you owe $8000 then your tax credit will only be $7500 then you have to pay the remaining $500. The remaining tax credit you ddnt used from that year will not add up or carry over for the ff year. You will be given again “upto” $7500 to pay the tax you owe for the following year 🙂

Tax credit is “upto” $7500 every year. If you owe $500 then your tax credit will only be $500. If you owe $8000 then your tax credit will only be $7500 then you have to pay the remaining $500. The remaining tax credit you ddnt used from that year will not add up or carry over for the ff year. You will be given again “upto” $7500 to pay the tax you owe for the following year 🙂

Seriously, every year? The car practically pays for itself after 9 years of credit. LOL

Dude, STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about....

• Funny
Reactions: beewang and Occhis
Instead of owing I got a refund.

A Tax credit does not adjust AGI as a deduction would. It adjusts taxes. Last year I bought a Nissan Leaf last in the year. Instead of owing at the end of the year, after applying the tax credit I received a refund.

Here is the line item form my bank account for the deposit from the IRS

Mar 8, 2023IRS TREAS 310 TAX REF PPDACH credit$6,639.00

Last edited:
Wanted to run this by you guys. I get K1 from my S corp and a W2. I always pay taxes because of the K1 income.
I will be filing jointly so my understanding is that 300K-(K1 from 2022 taken in 2023 180K) - (W2 120K Box1) - (second job W2 14KBox1).
This puts me just over 300K limit. I am paying a mortgage and other expenses.

If I am over 300 AGI I rather wait before buying Model Y, but If I would qualify I will pull the trigger.

Wanted to run this by you guys. I get K1 from my S corp and a W2. I always pay taxes because of the K1 income.
I will be filing jointly so my understanding is that 300K-(K1 from 2022 taken in 2023 180K) - (W2 120K Box1) - (second job W2 14KBox1).
This puts me just over 300K limit. I am paying a mortgage and other expenses.

If I am over 300 AGI I rather wait before buying Model Y, but If I would qualify I will pull the trigger.
Shouldn't you run this by your Tax Preparer??

(Unless your tax preparer is TurboTax, in which case ... why would you (@$300K+ income with K1))

I would not trust internet advice... You have seen some of the replies... people to which have NO CLUE are posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.