Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax in Georgia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone in Georgia knows the tax rate for the Model 3.

I know it's 7%, but it's based off of a registry, right? But what will it get taxed on?

I've put on order a fully loaded AWD Model 3, which comes out to $63,500.

Will it be 7% on the rear wheel without EAP/FSD?

@swhang , I paid 7% on the total cost of the vehicle including the 5K for EAP (I didn't get FSD).

FWIW, my insurance premium was also quoted on the net price. I tried explaining that the 5K was just for activating software, to see if they wanted to base it off of the car itself, but nope - it was based on the net price (without taxes).

HTH.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
@swhang , I paid 7% on the total cost of the vehicle including the 5K for EAP (I didn't get FSD).

FWIW, my insurance premium was also quoted on the net price. I tried explaining that the 5K was just for activating software, to see if they wanted to base it off of the car itself, but nope - it was based on the net price (without taxes).

HTH.

Yikes! That's a whopper. I was hoping to get taxed on the base LR PUP, without AWD, EAP, FSD.

Ugh!

HTH.

Remember, there are a number of taxes and I believe that they vary dependent on county registered. I believe that the tax, tag, and title were a little over 4K for a LR RWD with FSD.
Then you've got to pay to get a tag and then pay to get a EV tag. You may be able to get Tesla to order a EV tag for you, without having to change it out later. (We had a EV tag from another car)

Remember, there are a number of taxes and I believe that they vary dependent on county registered. I believe that the tax, tag, and title were a little over 4K for a LR RWD with FSD.
Then you've got to pay to get a tag and then pay to get a EV tag. You may be able to get Tesla to order a EV tag for you, without having to change it out later. (We had a EV tag from another car)
It's the tag that comes from a registry, afaik

Yes, you pay on total cost. What's worse is GA now charges approx $200/ yr more for tag renewal as someone finally figured out we don't pay road use (gas) taxes. That was a little surprise when I renewed...

The good news is: there are free county chargers and EV parking spaces where I live, so I take advantage of them. This is Columbia County. They actually put them at the nice parks, etc. There is even one at the tag office :) I guess it balances out.

Just FYI, when I picked up my car in mid-May, this wasn't an option offered by Tesla for GA owners. Tesla offered to order me a regular license plate, or work with me to transfer my old plates if preferred. You were asked to walk the plates over to the county Tag office yourself, if you wanted EV or any other novelty plates.

Hopefully this has changed, or will, soon.

• Informative
Reactions: swhang