Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Powerwall in September 2023 and it is installed December 2023. Inspection was done in February 2024 and I paid the invoice after that.
The Tax Credit says it should be purchased and installed in 2023 for 2023 tax year eligibility. For Tesla the order is not the same, you order it, they install it, city inspects it and you pay the invoice. So some of it happened in 2023 and the others in 2024, do I wait a year or ask for the credit for 2023?

PS: I am also checking with the tax people :)

I ordered my Powerwall in September 2023 and it is installed December 2023. Inspection was done in February 2024 and I paid the invoice after that.
The Tax Credit says it should be purchased and installed in 2023 for 2023 tax year eligibility. For Tesla the order is not the same, you order it, they install it, city inspects it and you pay the invoice. So some of it happened in 2023 and the others in 2024, do I wait a year or ask for the credit for 2023?

PS: I am also checking with the tax people :)
I'm not a tax official. Check with your tax preparer, and you can read the IRS publication, form 5695.
Non-official guidance is in lots of places. Look for "IRS" "put into service" or "installed" and "solar". E.g. here

All the best,

BG