Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teaching FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m new to the forum here so pardon me if this has been suggested before but wouldn’t it be cool if I, as a Tesla driver could teach my own particular car how to drive? I know the cars teach each other, kind of, but what if our car could learn directly from us?

There are places on my regular route that regularly confuse auto pilot and it seems silly for me to have to wait for an update to improve it- there could even be a special learn mode so I as a driver could greatly improve the performance of my self driving car. Over time, your car could even inherit your driving “personality”. Would make the “self driving” future more interesting!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’m new to the forum here so pardon me if this has been suggested before but wouldn’t it be cool if I, as a Tesla driver could teach my own particular car how to drive? I know the cars teach each other, kind of, but what if our car could learn directly from us?

There are places on my regular route that regularly confuse auto pilot and it seems silly for me to have to wait for an update to improve it- there could even be a special learn mode so I as a driver could greatly improve the performance of my self driving car. Over time, your car could even inherit your driving “personality”. Would make the “self driving” future more interesting!

Yes, it would be cool to be able to directly teach our car how to drive. But sadly, that's not how it works.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes, it would be cool to be able to directly teach our car how to drive. But sadly, that's not how it works.
No it would not be cool!
Currently Tesla focuses on campaigns, based on which NN they are working on and which problem they are focused on solving, they send out a set of campaigns to gather data from the fleet (1 million cars in the wild able to provide the data).

The huge advantage here is that there is focus for the NN engineering team, for the labeling team, for the driving policy team, etc.
If Tesla went with the proposed approach, they would have 1 million different approaches to driving, and each one focusing on solving their commute reality rather than the general solution that Tesla is aiming for.