Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would pay 2$, to get lane changes and stop on red light and STOP sign.
Do I hear $3? Going once…
The S3XY buttons system can help. You use the blinker, you change lane which disengages AP. The S3XY commander notices that behavior and can, if you set it up that way, automatically enable AP again for you after a set time.
Is there an existing thread on this? If not, you should start one.

FSD is the worst ever thing that I ever experienced, I can laugh at Elon musk for him saying that FSD would be worth around 100k in the future. Sorry Mr Musk it is not even worth a penny. Here are few observations why I feel so: Jerky driving, unnecessary lane changes, goes into left turning lanes on the highway at 75mph with very less stopping distance (too dangerous). In my opinion FSD should completely be banned and Tesla shouldn’t be allowed to make money from such dangerous, life threatening softwares.

FSD is the worst ever thing that I ever experienced, I can laugh at Elon musk for him saying that FSD would be worth around 100k in the future. Sorry Mr Musk it is not even worth a penny. Here are few observations why I feel so: Jerky driving, unnecessary lane changes, goes into left turning lanes on the highway at 75mph with very less stopping distance (too dangerous). In my opinion FSD should completely be banned and Tesla shouldn’t be allowed to make money from such dangerous, life threatening softwares.
He meant 100k extracted from each lifetime customer, for him.

• Funny
Reactions: David99 and Kimmi
I own a '23 MYLR which I've had since Feb, no FSD. My wife just bought a '23 M3P that came with FSD for 3 months which just ended. I've run FSD in a combination of highway, suburban, and rural environments. Two things are very clear to me after three months. First, it's performance ranges between excessively timid to suicidal. Second after all the work Tesla engineers have put into this code base, it still doesn't follow some of the most basic rules of the road.

Overall, the level of vigilance and attention required to safely operate in with FSD engaged is significantly in excess of simply driving normally. It's like teaching a first time driver who knows the basic rules (mostly) but is so obviously inexperienced and inconsistent as to require your sub-second intervention. The system is in no way "driver assistance". Rather, it is Tesla product development assistance for those willing to accept the liability and expense of participating. I'm only talking about FSD here. Autopilot, on the other hand, I find to be very useful on the highway.

Summary of FSD behaviors ranging from dangerous to annoying:
1) By far the absolute worst / scariest FSD behavior I experienced was on a 4-lane highway with many at-grade intersections. On multiple occasions while cruising at 65mph in the right lane, the car abruptly attempted to cut right into very short turn lanes. One incident left me with less than a second to recover to avoid the abrupt end of that turn lane and the high-speed swerve required active recovery. (this one is repeatable. FSD will do this every time I pass this intersection). It does this even though the lane is clearly painted with a right turn arrow.
2) Occasional confusion cruising through large, at-grade intersections where FSD seemed to lose track of the lane resulting in abrupt jerk of the wheel left or right.
3) Inexplicable desire of the system to cruise in the passing lane on 4+ lane roads. This one is most annoying because at this point FSD should be best at highway driving. How is it possible that Tesla hasn't figured out that FSD should keep the car in the right lane except as needed to pass slower traffic? Even when I command the car to the right lane with the turn signal, a minute or two later it will try to change to the left lane when I can see faster traffic approaching from behind.
4) (Also an issue with regular AP) The on-ramp acceleration / merge lane swerve. Every time I approach the merge lane the car swerves to 'center' the merged lanes. The car should stick a fixed max distance from the dashed line when on the highway. My Ford with lane keeping and Blue Cruise doesn't do this.
5) FSD fails to initiate the turn signal BEFORE abruptly decelerating for an upcoming turn. FSD signals very late, last 50-100' before the turn regardless of speed. This means the car will abruptly decelerate without a turn signal which could cause a rear-end collision.
6) FSD too tentative at intersections to be used with other traffic present. I get this from a safety perspective, but other drivers don't appreciate a car that stops 10' before a stop sign, then creeps forward before taking off, or jamming on the brakes if cross traffic is detected during the 'creep' phase.

I love both cars for all the regular car stuff they do better than most other cars. However, it's very clear to me that these cars are very far from being truly FSD capable and more than likely lack the sensors necessary to become so. I'm curious if my experience is typical or an outlier.
Since upgrading to FSD a few days ago, my experience is similar to yours. Last night on a 4 lane highway, the system moved me into the left lane to pass a semi. It steered me into the left berm while passing. I had to disengage FSD out of fear of colliding when the median divider.

I own a '23 MYLR which I've had since Feb, no FSD. My wife just bought a '23 M3P that came with FSD for 3 months which just ended. I've run FSD in a combination of highway, suburban, and rural environments. Two things are very clear to me after three months. First, it's performance ranges between excessively timid to suicidal. Second after all the work Tesla engineers have put into this code base, it still doesn't follow some of the most basic rules of the road.

Overall, the level of vigilance and attention required to safely operate in with FSD engaged is significantly in excess of simply driving normally. It's like teaching a first time driver who knows the basic rules (mostly) but is so obviously inexperienced and inconsistent as to require your sub-second intervention. The system is in no way "driver assistance". Rather, it is Tesla product development assistance for those willing to accept the liability and expense of participating. I'm only talking about FSD here. Autopilot, on the other hand, I find to be very useful on the highway.

Summary of FSD behaviors ranging from dangerous to annoying:
1) By far the absolute worst / scariest FSD behavior I experienced was on a 4-lane highway with many at-grade intersections. On multiple occasions while cruising at 65mph in the right lane, the car abruptly attempted to cut right into very short turn lanes. One incident left me with less than a second to recover to avoid the abrupt end of that turn lane and the high-speed swerve required active recovery. (this one is repeatable. FSD will do this every time I pass this intersection). It does this even though the lane is clearly painted with a right turn arrow.
2) Occasional confusion cruising through large, at-grade intersections where FSD seemed to lose track of the lane resulting in abrupt jerk of the wheel left or right.
3) Inexplicable desire of the system to cruise in the passing lane on 4+ lane roads. This one is most annoying because at this point FSD should be best at highway driving. How is it possible that Tesla hasn't figured out that FSD should keep the car in the right lane except as needed to pass slower traffic? Even when I command the car to the right lane with the turn signal, a minute or two later it will try to change to the left lane when I can see faster traffic approaching from behind.
4) (Also an issue with regular AP) The on-ramp acceleration / merge lane swerve. Every time I approach the merge lane the car swerves to 'center' the merged lanes. The car should stick a fixed max distance from the dashed line when on the highway. My Ford with lane keeping and Blue Cruise doesn't do this.
5) FSD fails to initiate the turn signal BEFORE abruptly decelerating for an upcoming turn. FSD signals very late, last 50-100' before the turn regardless of speed. This means the car will abruptly decelerate without a turn signal which could cause a rear-end collision.
6) FSD too tentative at intersections to be used with other traffic present. I get this from a safety perspective, but other drivers don't appreciate a car that stops 10' before a stop sign, then creeps forward before taking off, or jamming on the brakes if cross traffic is detected during the 'creep' phase.

I love both cars for all the regular car stuff they do better than most other cars. However, it's very clear to me that these cars are very far from being truly FSD capable and more than likely lack the sensors necessary to become so. I'm curious if my experience is typical or an outlier.
Your #1 experience is real. Happens to me every time. I cancel the FSD, press the voice button to record feedback and yell profanity at the stupid people programming to kill people! #3 is typical as well and I have to indicate manually to move over. It does move over if someone is on your tail though!
The best way to describe FSD (LMFAO) is that it has the capacity of a 9 year old trying to drive after he has watched his dad drive! Jerky tentative, indecisive and can do straight line for a while. Beyond that, it is useless. I believe Tesla engineers have worked hard and rewrote 300000 lines of code for the FSD but I think they need to rewrite 10 times that code to be able to mature into a 16 year old driver!

Your #1 experience is real. Happens to me every time. I cancel the FSD, press the voice button to record feedback and yell profanity at the stupid people programming to kill people! #3 is typical as well and I have to indicate manually to move over. It does move over if someone is on your tail though!
The best way to describe FSD (LMFAO) is that it has the capacity of a 9 year old trying to drive after he has watched his dad drive! Jerky tentative, indecisive and can do straight line for a while. Beyond that, it is useless. I believe Tesla engineers have worked hard and rewrote 300000 lines of code for the FSD but I think they need to rewrite 10 times that code to be able to mature into a 16 year old driver!
Curious why your experience is so different from others. Black Tesla's latest video is pretty much my experience - mine is a little more cautious with URT, but not much:

Curious why your experience is so different from others. Black Tesla's latest video is pretty much my experience - mine is a little more cautious with URT, but not much:

I have no idea other than the fact I know my Tesla is trying to kill me!😂 I exit the hoghway and join a 3 lane road and the map clearly says I need to be in the left two lanes as the right lane exits to another destination! My Tesla insists on being in the right lane even after I manually correct it and put it in the middle lane! Quickly! The car moves over to the right lane even though it's clearly marked as an exit lane! I am thinking it will move over to the middle lane but no! It cant cos by the time it decides, the rush hour traffic has built up and it just starts to hesitate prompting other motorists to gesture or honk cos the stupid FSD is jerking me around! I cancel the FSD and the prompt comes on to inform Tesla what happened and thats when I let out every profanity known to mankind! Just plain stupid!! Happens every single time if I dont cancel FSD! On the way back the reverse happens! It stays on the right lane and tries to stop and jerk as that lane leads eastbound hwy and I need to be in the center lane to move over to westbound exit! I tell you! My Tesla is determined to bury me alive!😂😂 I have exhausted all my profanity! Could someone help me with new ones?

Last edited:
Reactions: GalacticHero
I have no idea other than the fact I know my Tesla is trying to kill me!😂 I exit the hoghway and join a 3 lane road and the map clearly says I need to be in the left two lanes as the right lane exits to another destination! My Tesla insists on being in the right lane even after I manually correct it and put it in the middle lane! Quickly! The car moves over to the right lane even though it's clearly marked as an exit lane! I am thinking it will move over to the middle lane but no! It cant cos by the time it decides, the rush hour traffic has built up and it just starts to hesitate prompting other motorists to gesture or honk cos the stupid FSD is jerking me around! I cancel the FSD and the prompt comes on to inform Tesla what happened and thats when I let out every profanity known to mankind! Just plain stupid!! Happens every single time if I dont cancel FSD! On the way back the reverse happens! It stays on the right lane and tries to stop and jerk as that lane leads eastbound hwy and I need to be in the center lane to move over to westbound exit! I tell you! My Tesla is determined to bury me alive!😂😂 I have exhausted all my profanity! Could someone help me with new ones?
I too rarely have the same FSD experience as the YouTube posters. I wonder why that is…?

What causes a parked car to be displayed red and a beep as you approach
even though you are not in any danger of hitting it.
I can understand this is you are approaching a car from the rear to fast
but I have been getting this from parked cars and the other day from
a car parked between two cars.
I thought this was mostly happening in curving turns .
Cars are parked on the next to side walk and I think it thinks
the road is straight when it actually curves and I am in the middle
of the lane and not about to hit these cars at all.
Happens with and without FSD. I am at FSD trial 12.3.4