Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 13a charger, is it waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon folks,
Just a quick question regarding the Tesla 13a charging cable.
I usually do all my charging at work so have never had any need for a home charging solution. However as I’m going to on holiday for a couple of weeks with no access to the works charger I need an option for home.
My problem is that I don’t have a garage, or anywhere that’s accessible undercover, other than passing the cable through a downstairs window.
I do however have an outdoor weatherproof socket next to my drive that is ideally placed, looking at the Tesla charger it doesn’t look to be weatherproof so would rather get confirmation before attempting to use it and tripping my electricity supply.
Can anyone confirm if these are designed to be used in environments where they will get wet?
39A10493-9294-462C-9D5A-7DB3D6976F87.jpeg

It's not water proof, it is water resistant. It can get wet. What I would do is plug it into your exterior outlet and then use a garbage bag to loosely cover the UMC. I assume this is a 15-Amp exterior outlet, so there shouldn't be too much heat transfer. You can also use an extension cord (a good one) to get the UMC under your car, then plug it in. Put the UMC on top of the tire or something.

It's not water proof, it is water resistant. It can get wet. What I would do is plug it into your exterior outlet and then use a garbage bag to loosely cover the UMC. I assume this is a 15-Amp exterior outlet, so there shouldn't be too much heat transfer. You can also use an extension cord (a good one) to get the UMC under your car, then plug it in. Put the UMC on top of the tire or something.

That’s great, thanks for the info, I’ll get something sorted out.