Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for recommendations - Home Charger Cable Extensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey team,

I have to use an extension cable to connect my home charger cable to the socket in the house and reach my car.

I've been using an outdoor cable that's worked ok, but it picks up some heat over time and has left a mark on the wall socket. I don't want to risk a fire, and I'm guessing the length and thickness of the cable are the issues.

Has anyone used an extension cable that they can recommend?

Ideally, something designed just for this, or that meets the standard requirements so I don't have heat or outdoor issues. I did a quick Google and found some stuff in the States but not sure what I would need here in NZ, or if there is a local provider/solution.

Probably not helpful and you probably know all this, but...

The Tesla charger will take 10A at 230-240v (They sent out an update a few months back via the car that reprogrammed them taking them from 8A maximum to 10A) .
If you have another brand, it is probably capped at 8A.
At 8A I would think any decent quality 10A extension lead should be ok.

But at 10A it could be taking that load for 12-20 hours - so probably need a more 'heavy duty' cable. (Though it seems that the word heavy duty dont actually mean anything when advertised with a product !)

A quick search shows cables always seem to show 10A rating, but as mentioned it will be running at 100% for a long time.
The draw is equivalent to a plug in heater running on full power for many hours (e.g.):
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/nouveau-digital-convection-heater/p/369928

You didn't say how log it needed to be.

This thread discusses this query and the general comments were that you ideally need a 'tradie' specd cable with 2.5mm diameter copper wiring.
Bunnings showed two that mention 2.5mm - but they are very long and quite pricey (search for 2.5mm on the page):
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/products?page=1&q=heavy+duty+extension+lead&sort=BoostOrder
As previously mentioned the words 'extra heavy duty' dont mean a lot - I saw some comments about a couple of cables on the Bunnings site that said they had 1mm wiring - which would be pretty poor.

If you buy a 15A extension, you will find the earth pin is wider than a normal lead and wont fit into the wall plug.
Hopefully someone else has found a a source of reliable cables.

• Love
Reactions: Daniel Hutt