Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2016 model x versus 2020 model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Night and day difference in quality and comfort of interior, suspension, and refinement. MCU2, HW3, Adaptive suspension, Raven efficiency, faster charging, better interior quality. The list goes on and on. If you can, get the 2020.

We just traded our 2016 90D for a 2020 Long Range and there is quite a difference. The suspension is so much better. It's like driving a different car. The cabin is significantly quieter, the map is really speedy, one pedal driving is so nice. We didn't have premium sound in our old car but the sound in the new one is fantastic. The only major (to us) thing we aren't happy with is the basically unusable backup camera when it's dark. I really hope this is just a software issue but my searches so far seem to indicate that Tesla doesn't view this as a problem. Overall we are very happy with the new car.

Another big difference is the sticker price reductions for comparably equipped cars.

I was able to buy a new Raven 100 for about the same price I previously paid for my 17 75X. Came with upgraded premium package, better stereo, faster computer, more power/performance, faster charging, etc.

With the Section 179 business deductions I can buy a new Model X every 3 years with the tax deductions wiping out the depreciation.

I have a 2017 MX and I can tell you that the cabin is noisy on the road. If the sound system is off, the road noise is louder than any other SVU I drove before. But I also have premium sound and at level 4 to 5 it covers up any road noise and the sound is amazing. The newer 2018+ MX will come with tow package pre installed I believe. The 2016 MX would not have it. The 2016 MX may have more interior color combination you could pick from. For example, you can't get white seats with dark ash wood trim with the newer model anymore. Also the 2016 5 or 7 seaters do not fold flat. That happened in middle of 2017 (mine has it).

Looked at the latest X at one of the stores but haven't driven one yet. One thing I noticed is the Alcantara insert on top of the dash is gone. Not that I cared that much for it but it does look much better on the older models. (my personal opinion).

We had our X fully wrapped. Hard to give that up (equally hard to have to pay for that again)

I agree that the ride quality and cabin noise are much improved. Drive train and battery is amazingly efficient.

But there is definitely more plastic, less alcantra, and the vinyl seats feel cheaper than the original leather. I also love my Active Spoiler on my X. It adds a lot of factor. Third row in my X also has padded leather walls, compared to just plastic on the newer ones.

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum
While my 2016 was in for service I think Tesla purposely gave me a new model X loaner. OMG this car is so much better. It’s smoother, more quiet, more comfortable, my neck and back dont hurt anymore. The sound system is better. I think its time for the trade in, what you guys think? Anyone else did the same? Also will I be grand fathered into unlimited charging at super chargers?

While my 2016 was in for service I think Tesla purposely gave me a new model X loaner. OMG this car is so much better. It’s smoother, more quiet, more comfortable, my neck and back dont hurt anymore. The sound system is better. I think its time for the trade in, what you guys think? Anyone else did the same? Also will I be grand fathered into unlimited charging at super chargers?
No you won't be gandfathered. It is one of the biggest reason why I will not trade in my 2017 X. I travel a LOT on long distances and the free supercharging is a nice benefit. Frankly, I like the interior of my older X better. But sure, the newer one has some advantages.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
No you won't be gandfathered. It is one of the biggest reason why I will not trade in my 2017 X. I travel a LOT on long distances and the free supercharging is a nice benefit. Frankly, I like the interior of my older X better. But sure, the newer one has some advantages.

Lets say I charge 200 miles at a supercharger, how much does it cost? Is it few dollars or are talking like 20-30 bucks