Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance - parts missing from car are now on backorder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I did miss one upside though, if you do see a Model 3 with a rear spoiler (I have seen 2 in my area in NJ) they are not Performance Model 3s, so I guess you can now identify the Performance Model 3 as the ones without the spoiler o_O

So I got my Tesla 3 Performance in Obsidian Black delivered on September 21, 2018 in Los Angeles, CA. I ordered prior to this date in time to get the free super-charging per the local Tesla Rep where we ordered the car. It is now October 30th and our account still says per per use super-charging. I have contacted our Tesla Owner-Advisor about 15 times on this and all they can say so far is they are not sure why it won't change on our account. Ok.....

Right before we were signing the DMV paperwork, the Tesla delivery guy says "oh yea not all the parts are on your car but we didn't want to keep the car from you to deliver those parts so we figured we would just give it to you know. "What parts?" I asked as I paid for 100% of a Tesla 3 performance in Obsidian black and wasn't expecting on only getting 98% of the car. "The spoiler, the body tags and the allow pedals. But no worries, your owner advisor will order them for you and they take about 2-3 weeks to get here. Once they do just make a service appt and you can get them installed." Ok well THAT was a big shocker and my gut was telling me to refuse delivery but I signed the paper anyway hoping for the best.

One week later I call and email my owner/advisor several times until I got a response. I asked what the status was of the performance parts that he ordered. He ordered no parts and had no idea what the delivery guy was talking about. Sigh. Ok so then I ordered parts with the owner-advisor and he said they would take 2-3 weeks to get here. I just checked with him again and after several emails and phone calls he responded today (10/30/18). Now apparently all those parts are on back-order with no estimated delivery date.

Meanwhile, the $5,000 option that I paid for these parts has now become worthless as Mr. Musk decided to give it away for free.

I also see that Mr. Musk has turned a profit in the 3rd quarter for Tesla and couldn't help but think I contributed to that in some small way by paying for a spoiler, body tags and alloy pedals I have yet to receive.

Oh and I also have a Telsa Solar Panel system installed that I can't turn on as the DWP has to do it but I have no idea if Tesla is supposed to make this appt or we are as I can't get anyone from the Tesla energy side to respond back to me either. You would think with this much invested in Mr. Musk I would get faster and more informative responses but I guess not. I know this is the Tesla car forum but I just wanted to give some context regarding my frustration.

So I have owned multiple BMWs and Lexus's in the past and as far as luxury car buying experiences are concerned the Tesla experience is not high on my list. I don't mean for this to be a rant but this has been an extremely frustrating car buying experience for me and I just wanted to see if this is normal and other are experience this or I should be taking more of a heated approach to trying to get some answers. I do love the car but I want what I paid for and answers to my questions. I don't think that is unreasonable to ask for.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

This was EXACTLY my experience too. I purchased a MX Dec. '17, and it took six months for them to get and install the trailer hitch. Multiple calls to the sales rep and service dept were met with either the parts were on back order or we have no idea what you're talking about. Then the paint on the door tread seams cracked and they said that it was cosmetic and not structural and returned the vehicle to me. I asked about repairing the unsightly paint cracks/gaps and they said their body shop was "all booked up" with no known date it could be addressed. I love the vehicle(s), but frankly I'm shocked at how amateur they behave given a 100k purchase.