Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Advanced Summon" feature coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to hear about this new advancement in the summoning feature of the car. I'm skeptical, however, over the car's obstacle avoidance capabilities. For the most part, it seems like the car still doesn't usually identify parked cars as being cars, and I've never been able to get auto-park to properly park in my garage parking spot (see below -- mine is the black one); it always angles in and tries to point the nose of the car towards the concrete pillar. That worries me: if I summon my car, is it going to side-swipe that pillar, or bang into another parked car?

I'll reserve judgement once the feature is delivered. For now, I am excited on the advancement of the car's capabilities, albeit cautiously so. :)

(source: Elon Musk on Twitter)

IMG_20180906_090822.jpg

FDA13EEC-0E43-46B4-879A-272F76E76E2A.jpeg
Elon says improved summon is coming and I hope that updates to autopark are included.

I’ve been unable to “convince” my Model 3 to autopark in the garage. The driveway is 90 degrees to the entrance. But I’ve prepared “lane” markers with white duct tape to assist the cameras.

That works really well for simply using the rear camera to back into the garage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJ6LUGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have just a sealed concrete garage, not painted, but the duct tape stays on well.

With modest luck the January/February advanced summon will both park my car and drive it out of the garage!

View attachment 367883 Elon says improved summon is coming and I hope that updates to autopark are included.

I’ve been unable to “convince” my Model 3 to autopark in the garage. The driveway is 90 degrees to the entrance. But I’ve prepared “lane” markers with white duct tape to assist the cameras.

That works really well for simply using the rear camera to back into the garage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJ6LUGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have just a sealed concrete garage, not painted, but the duct tape stays on well.

With modest luck the January/February advanced summon will both park my car and drive it out of the garage!

So are you actually using auto park or summoning into the garage?

View attachment 367883 Elon says improved summon is coming and I hope that updates to autopark are included.

Is that lane line in your garage for autopilot?

Reactions: AngryCPA
He basically faked a painted parking spot in his garage for Autopark to use.

Yep! It works so well, I thought I should share it and the amazon product link. I even have a line in the back to register the rear camera stop.

Duct tape can be ripped up and trashed, or if autopark uses the lane markers, I’ll use the tape as an edge for painting more durable lines. The duct tape lines are solid and have not come off in three months.

Last edited: