Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ambassadors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree with many of the points in the previous posts, I would comment that I have seen "Ambassador" programs really help the ground roots movement and help grow the brand. Take for example the Makers Mark Ambassador program, growing up near the distillery in Kentucky, a great deal of pride was felt for the brand. Makers Mark, made a real concerted effort to help grow the brand. They "recruited" zealots to continue to spread the work of the product. When I first joined the program, there were under 500 Ambassadors. Now there is over 100,000. There is no actual compensation, except makers sends out a random little thank you gift during the holiday season and host a few Ambassador Only events at the distillery and a couple big horse races. But the Ambassadors are very passionate about their product and spreading the word. I have seen ambassadors pick up a drink for true Jack Daniels fans in order to get them to try the Makers product on several occasions. They do this not for compensation, but the share their passion with others.

For the suggestions of taking a job with Tesla, I think that might work for some but in reality, most of us have a job or not in the need of a job in order to be compensated for spreading the word. In addition, if I took a job with Tesla, I believe there would be some serious restrictions to my active trading of TSLA. So for the sake of this discussion, I would love to see ambassadors, sales staff, magic workers, or Elon himself continue to spread the work of Telsa and keeping the momentum growing!

The whole proposal just sounds like 'open new sales positions in different parts of the country and provide compensation of 'x' dollars'. This is no different.

I like how it works now. Tesla supplies a great product to customers who love it so much they convert their friends and family. Yay.

This thread discusses a sales role that sounds very familiar to the Asset Light role, which Tesla already has open positions for around the country.

The Asset Lite is one of the most interesting and engaging roles at Tesla. The job requires someone that has a pioneering edge and is willing to take entrepreneurial talent, put it to work and turn a dormant market into a Tesla hot bed while selling enough cars to convince the company to take the market to the next level and build the full store. It is Tesla culture manifested in a sales role. It is an excellent career development opportunity with most of our senior sales leadership having passed through this position. If you love cars, love the Tesla idea, solve big challenges as a matter of course and want a career in sales this is the role for you.
Responsibilities

-Help drive business and maximize sales through customer service and product knowledge.
-Implement all operational policies and procedures in order to satisfy the needs of the customer while helping Tesla achieve its sales goals.
-Demonstrates relevant sales experience and customer interfacing experience gained with high value, high image products or services.
-Exhibits strong one-on-one customer interfacing knowledge.
-Possess the relevant automotive experience preferred but not mandatory, strong knowledge and experience within the target market under consideration.

-Present Tesla products by explaining design, features, warranties and services, are prepared to answer questions about the company, the vehicle, and the technology.

- Achieve profitability targets, including monthly and annual sales goals.
-Develop and implement appropriate sales and marketing strategies.
-Represent the Tesla brand in market and help assume a key leadership role
-Obtain and manage relationships with regional brand partners to maximize exposure to qualified clientele
-Craft and execute creative approaches to market penetration
-Establish and maintain reporting metrics and execute against ROI decisions within your market as they pertain to bandwidth and cost
Requirements
-Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with an unwavering moral compass, are required to achieve the lofty standards of this role.
-Strong attention to detail and the importance of prompt and thorough follow up.
-Proactive, never-fail attitude in the face of adversity, ambiguous situations and a lack of managerial oversight.
-Highly flexible regarding work days and hours.
-Sales experience with proven track record to meet or exceed targets and goals.
-Valid Driver’s License, 2 year minimum driving record required with a clean driving history.
-Bachelor’s degree or above.

Asset-liteCanada-QC-Montreal-Laurentides Blvd-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-CA-Menlo Park-El Camino Real-Store1Full time
Asset-liteUS-KS-Kansas City-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-OH-Dublin-Tuller Rd-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-MI-Detroit-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-FL-Orlando-Millenia-Store1Full time
Asset-liteUS-NE-Omaha-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-TN-Nashville-Service1Full time
Asset-liteUS-OK-Oklahoma City-Service1Full time

While I agree with many of the points in the previous posts, I would comment that I have seen "Ambassador" programs really help the ground roots movement and help grow the brand. Take for example the Makers Mark Ambassador program, growing up near the distillery in Kentucky, a great deal of pride was felt for the brand. Makers Mark, made a real concerted effort to help grow the brand. They "recruited" zealots to continue to spread the work of the product. When I first joined the program, there were under 500 Ambassadors. Now there is over 100,000. There is no actual compensation, except makers sends out a random little thank you gift during the holiday season and host a few Ambassador Only events at the distillery and a couple big horse races. But the Ambassadors are very passionate about their product and spreading the word. I have seen ambassadors pick up a drink for true Jack Daniels fans in order to get them to try the Makers product on several occasions. They do this not for compensation, but the share their passion with others.

For the suggestions of taking a job with Tesla, I think that might work for some but in reality, most of us have a job or not in the need of a job in order to be compensated for spreading the word. In addition, if I took a job with Tesla, I believe there would be some serious restrictions to my active trading of TSLA. So for the sake of this discussion, I would love to see ambassadors, sales staff, magic workers, or Elon himself continue to spread the work of Telsa and keeping the momentum growing!

Hi Jay,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with "Ambassador" programs for spirits.

Do you think that is analogous to the original poster's proposition?

To recap he's semi-retired and wants Tesla to provide him a free demo Model S so he can sell Teslas in his spare time.

That's makes sense, right?

So our suggestions that a semi- retired person apply for a Tesla sales job are out of bounds? Tesla should give him and other a free Model S, and call it an Ambassador program, right?

Larry

Larry,

I think that to suggest giving a free Model S and call it an Ambassador program is a far stretch from my experience in other Ambassador programs. As I noted in my original post, the is no actual compensation, this includes no free spirits, no cash, no performance related pay. One of my favorite "gifts" that was provided was a website that I could log into and enter my contact info. Then an "Ambassador" business card was created with the company logo, recipes, and a little history on the back. They then sent 100 of these cards free to me and gave me the option to pay for more. I like the idea so much that I have created a business card for the Ohio Tesla Owners Facebook group and I give 100 of the cards to each our our members that attend our gatherings. They are simple business cards that have a detailed summary of the Model S on the back and our logo, and contact info on the front.

You would be amazed at how people love getting that card when they stop me and ask about my car. It also allows me the freedom to talk a little about the car but then allow them to research the rest for themselves.

I would suggest as I did in my previous post, that anyone wanting to spread the word about Tesla should do so on their own accord. I dont think relying on a compensation method for Ambassadors is a good idea, but Tesla is driven by brand and that fact alone can pave the way for a successful run at the existing auto industry.

J

Larry,

I think that to suggest giving a free Model S and call it an Ambassador program is a far stretch from my experience in other Ambassador programs. As I noted in my original post, the is no actual compensation, this includes no free spirits, no cash, no performance related pay. One of my favorite "gifts" that was provided was a website that I could log into and enter my contact info. Then an "Ambassador" business card was created with the company logo, recipes, and a little history on the back. They then sent 100 of these cards free to me and gave me the option to pay for more. I like the idea so much that I have created a business card for the Ohio Tesla Owners Facebook group and I give 100 of the cards to each our our members that attend our gatherings. They are simple business cards that have a detailed summary of the Model S on the back and our logo, and contact info on the front.

You would be amazed at how people love getting that card when they stop me and ask about my car. It also allows me the freedom to talk a little about the car but then allow them to research the rest for themselves.

I would suggest as I did in my previous post, that anyone wanting to spread the word about Tesla should do so on their own accord. I dont think relying on a compensation method for Ambassadors is a good idea, but Tesla is driven by brand and that fact alone can pave the way for a successful run at the existing auto industry.

J

Thanks Jay,

I apologize if my tone sounded argumentative.

I was attempting to highlight the significant differences in these "Ambassador" programs.

As a fellow Tesla club member you know how much Tesla promotion we do with no strings attached. I find these sort of self-serving, "Tesla needs to give me something threads", frankly offensive and that tone apparently carried over into my previous posting.

That business card concept sounds like a great idea.

Larry

With my Model S demo (hint, hint) I could be out there in the high tech/medical employer's parking lots and at the regional Malls showing off the car fulltime, answering questions and qualifying prospects for a ride, a test drive and a home wiring survey.

Surely all my referrals will quickly pay for the demo and I will continue on a small commission (hey, I'd work for stock), doing something I love and making some contribution to a better world.

I think you have zero chance of seeing this happen. It requires Tesla to make at least a $60K commitment to a salesperson, however informally that might be defined, who is also not trained and not subject to any supervision. Plus it takes a car that is eminently saleable from the pipeline, and Tesla isn't having any trouble selling every car it can make right now... with zero advertising, to boot. Put bluntly, Tesla doesn't need you, can't control you, and would be liable for any stupidity you might commit: thus you would represent much more of a liability than a benefit to them.

However, I've been personally involved in several cases where someone saw a need and worked to serve it as a small business. You could rent or lease a Model S, or make arrangements to rent or lease one for certain days, to give demo rides. You could offer your professional services to the buyer (not Tesla) and thus create an income stream. There is certainly the possibility of making money in this scenario, just not IMHO from Tesla.