Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and driver impairments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago I allowed a friend to test drive our MS/AP1. As we were returning home, he observed that he felt the car was “looking out” for him. What he had noticed was how the IC image of the car while picking up and signaling close proximity of parked cars and other objects as we went along through city traffic. He quickly became relaxed in the car. My friend has had Parkinson’s Disease for some years now. He has been driving all along. He does display the classic signs of PD, some involuntary head and shoulder spasms, stiffness walking and so on.

Also, there is the case of another friend who has double vision only with right gaze. Straight ahead and left gaze is not impacted. A small stroke some years back affected the muscle/nerve of the right eye. She recently took a test drive in an MX and loved it. Again the Instrument Cluster showed where she was and what was going on with parked cars and objects to the right. Usually she prefers to drive on freeways and stay in one lane.

Should either of these people even be driving? Maybe not but I’m sure they aren’t the only ones out there driving while impaired. I suppose it would be inadvisable for Tesla to play up the driver assistance features for people with impairments.

I have not noticed any threads covering people migrating to or relating how the features of the Tesla facilitate their driving when they may otherwise feel or be restricted because of some infirmity that may impact their ability to take in the world around them and quickly respond. I am thinking of my friend’s PD and perhaps his difficulty in quickly observing what is going on adjacent lanes, blind spots or ??

As for us, we have just ordered an MX with EAP and FSD. Sure FSD is not here now but I’ll take all the backup and the best route to safely extending our independence to move about.