Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What amount of vibration is “normal?”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

novajoe83

Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2019
New Jersey
2024 MX RWD - picked up 3/1/2024

Initial issue - FWD misalignment and frunk hard to close. FWD misalignment improved (not perfect). frunk closing improved. Also noticed some vibration. Did a balance. No improvement.

Brought to new service center. Vibration and squeak from trunk. This part is important. Service tech drove the car, was in the passenger seat, and was in the back. He agreed that the vibration was excessive.

Service action: “Performed Road Force, and found the rear tire set to posses excessive road force the driver rear was at 36 in the red, and the passenger rear was at 26 in the red, after replacing the rear tires, performed another road force, and verified that the driver rear is at 3 in the green, and the passenger rear is at 1 in the green, finally when performing road test had no issues with vibration.”

I drove the car home and immediately felt there was still vibration. To be clear this is how the vibration manifests:
- pretty much at any speed
- probably worse when accelerating
- pretty constant - low intensity but always there
- can feel it in any seat in the car

Ways to validate - hold edge of passenger seat when driving (vibrates a TON), sit in back and put hands on either seat.

After feeling the same issue I drove back to the service center and they had their senior tech accompany me. After driving for some time, he said it’s driving normally for the X - mind you, it felt very similar to before. He explained that the back seats are bolted right to the floor so they tend to experience more vibration. He didn’t have a great answer for the passenger seat. Either way he basically said that’s the way the car is.

So here’s the question. Having come from two model 3s, is it typical that the model 3 would be a smoother ride with less vibration? I guess I want to understand if I’m being too picky relative to the normal model X drive. Basically, is some vibration typical for the X, regardless of car speed, etc.

Additonal context. I did test drive an X but really didn’t notice the vibration when I did. But to be fair it was a quick test drive.

Long story short. I’m really really disappointed in the drive experience and I am sadly regretting the biggest non-house purchase of my life.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I’ve seen a lot of vibration posts but most relate to it being seen at specific speeds and my case does not require specific speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: MobileMikeV
Test drive again. Holding your palm against the passenger seat is not a great test - it transmits a lot of vibrations- has to do something with the way it’s mounted. You can do that with the test car and compare. The pathological vibrations mostly associated with X and S are felt either in the wheel or pedals or both. You sort of know a drivetrain from a tire / suspension balance vibration. Your fix maybe as simple as a proper alignment and balance at a competent shop. Service centers are not always very competently staffed or helpful. Don’t despair, make sure you take your time to collect evidence and that you don’t imagine something that’s not a problem (palm against the passenger seat is questionable test).

Reactions: novajoe83
And since you’re in NJ, may I ask what SC you visited? I’m 4 miles from Springfield and got my MXP delivered there but avoid it like the plague- that’s not a well staffed SC. Paramus is better and I go there now to service.

And since you’re in NJ, may I ask what SC you visited? I’m 4 miles from Springfield and got my MXP delivered there but avoid it like the plague- that’s not a well staffed SC. Paramus is better and I go there now to service.
paramus for FWD alignment and initial look at vibration. they did balance -> no effect.
Springfield for follow-up. Replaced rear tires -> minimal effect.
Have Springfield follow-up for another issue. Will try to do demo drive of another X to be able to compare. Compared to my TM3, the drive is so much more wobbly/bouncy. so incredibly disappointed.

It shouldn’t be. I’ve owned M3P before, still own MYP an now MXP. I put the UP rear sway bar so can’t comment on stock sway bar but there’s nothing unsettled about MXP. I vastly prefer it as a ride to MYP except for city driving where the Y has better visibility and is mire compact and easy to maneuver.

That said, the car does exhibit “cold” vibration for 2-3 minutes of a drive after being parked but that’s different and disappears.

Paramus is the right shop for FWD alignment.

There should be X models for testing at Springfield - I did 3 test drives there before I bought mine.

2024 MX RWD - picked up 3/1/2024

Initial issue - FWD misalignment and frunk hard to close. FWD misalignment improved (not perfect). frunk closing improved. Also noticed some vibration. Did a balance. No improvement.

Brought to new service center. Vibration and squeak from trunk. This part is important. Service tech drove the car, was in the passenger seat, and was in the back. He agreed that the vibration was excessive.

Service action: “Performed Road Force, and found the rear tire set to posses excessive road force the driver rear was at 36 in the red, and the passenger rear was at 26 in the red, after replacing the rear tires, performed another road force, and verified that the driver rear is at 3 in the green, and the passenger rear is at 1 in the green, finally when performing road test had no issues with vibration.”

I drove the car home and immediately felt there was still vibration. To be clear this is how the vibration manifests:
- pretty much at any speed
- probably worse when accelerating
- pretty constant - low intensity but always there
- can feel it in any seat in the car

Ways to validate - hold edge of passenger seat when driving (vibrates a TON), sit in back and put hands on either seat.

After feeling the same issue I drove back to the service center and they had their senior tech accompany me. After driving for some time, he said it’s driving normally for the X - mind you, it felt very similar to before. He explained that the back seats are bolted right to the floor so they tend to experience more vibration. He didn’t have a great answer for the passenger seat. Either way he basically said that’s the way the car is.

So here’s the question. Having come from two model 3s, is it typical that the model 3 would be a smoother ride with less vibration? I guess I want to understand if I’m being too picky relative to the normal model X drive. Basically, is some vibration typical for the X, regardless of car speed, etc.

Additonal context. I did test drive an X but really didn’t notice the vibration when I did. But to be fair it was a quick test drive.

Long story short. I’m really really disappointed in the drive experience and I am sadly regretting the biggest non-house purchase of my life.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I’ve seen a lot of vibration posts but most relate to it being seen at specific speeds and my case does not require specific speeds.
I originally had a 2019 Model 3 Performance that I was extremely happy with. My situation and expectation was identical to yours. Tesla ended up buying the car back.

The reality is that the Model X suspension is a pile of trash. It is astonishing that they have made this vehicle for so long and it still sucks this much. I pushed back on this a lot because it is SO FAR from acceptable and eventually Tesla bought the vehicle back. If you are unhappy, I would suggest you do the same - it will not get better.

I still have the 2019 Model 3, and it is the best purchase of any kind, in any category, for any price that I have ever made. I couldn't be more satisfied with it for what it is. The X was the opposite. I ended up replacing the X with a 2024 Model S and the suspension is leagues better than the X.

Reactions: novajoe83
Recalling how bothered by this issue you were , I’m glad you got rid of that stress. My patience wit Tesla is wearing thin - even though I don’t have the suspension vibration yet, I’m fed up with the multiple little and no so little issues resulting in 7-8 service tickets in 6 months of ownership

Have an appt in paramus next Wednesday (appt #4 and first one that is solely for vibration issues). I had talked with a very nice service center manager last weekend who indicated they would really try to address the vibration issue beyond the conventional things they do and even though they struggled to replicate my issue on road tests. His recommendation was that I get new tires b/c the tires that come on the model x by default are not as comfortable a ride. And honestly...if I thought this would fix the issue I'd do it tomorrow. But the fact that plenty of people have stock model Xs without vibration issues gives me significant pause.

I test drove a demo model X last week and there WAS some vibration on that one as well (definitely more than I expected) but when I got back into mine it was apparent that mine was much worse.

I think another round of attempts and then I have to decide if I want to try new tires or fight for buyback. I have an ultra red 2024 which I got before the color price increase and qualified for tax credit + FSD transfer. So I don't really wanna let go of my car and I really am trying hard to just ignore the vibrations. It's easier in the 60-80mph range but man it's hard to do so in the 20-60 range.

I originally had a 2019 Model 3 Performance that I was extremely happy with. My situation and expectation was identical to yours. Tesla ended up buying the car back.

The reality is that the Model X suspension is a pile of trash. It is astonishing that they have made this vehicle for so long and it still sucks this much. I pushed back on this a lot because it is SO FAR from acceptable and eventually Tesla bought the vehicle back. If you are unhappy, I would suggest you do the same - it will not get better.

I still have the 2019 Model 3, and it is the best purchase of any kind, in any category, for any price that I have ever made. I couldn't be more satisfied with it for what it is. The X was the opposite. I ended up replacing the X with a 2024 Model S and the suspension is leagues better than the X.
I feel like we are the same person haha. I have said it all the time to anyone who will listen that my 2019 Model 3 was hands down the best purchase I ever made of anything. Near 100% satisfaction. I've been so disappointed with the vibration in the model X and it's ruining what is otherwise a really nice vehicle.

• Love