Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla = Apollo Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm proud to be amongst the group of early adopters. The Model S is revolutionary in so many ways. If people want to have something cheap and be with the masses, they should wait. If you want to be like us, then you need to go back in time a few years and order one on pure speculation like we did. I have the "flux capacitor" display from Teslamods and my car is as close to Doc Brown's time machine as one can get :biggrin:

I believe that the Model S could not be done in Detroit. Paradigm shifts are seldom done by established companies. SanFran was required to have the right mind set.
Aptera died when they hired an establishment CEO. People have trouble seeing new solutions. They think, why not just modify this old solution a little? They have very little upside potential and lots of downside potential. Two billion increase in GM market capitalization is tiny. Lose 2 billion and you lose your job. Selling 20,000 cars a year can't be done at a profit by GM. They would drop the car after one or two years and never make the X or do the firmware updates for us.

It's worse than that. Established product lines come with an aristocracy that defends them regardless of whether it makes sense. Even if there is a new product that could make the whole company more money - the old products are protected from internal cannabalization by their old kings. The result: external cannabalization.