Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App: Choose WHICH garage to open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrTaras

R254->R725->S->X->M3->M3P-->R2020?
Dec 2, 2007
Woodland Hills, CA
I have 2 garage doors & both are able to be controlled from my CAR. When I use the APP, only the right one activates without asking me which I want activated. How do I get the app to ask me which to activate?

IMG_7607.jpg

I tweeted at Elon and asked him for a feature update.
Also, my simultaneous Facebook post garnered me a work-around: The garage door is chosen by whatever you set up in summon (from the car screen) and then when you hit the garage opener on the app that garage door is automatically chosen.
That's correct but I didn't realize you were asking for that since you asked how you could vary this via the app. There is currently no way to change this setting via the app which kind of defeats the purpose since you'd already be in the car to set it to the proper door anyway. Unless you more meant that you wanted to change it to the other door and leave it that way for future use. In this case, yeah... you can change that from the car summon menu and the app will trigger the default door moving forward.

A workaround would be to buy a MyQ smart hub or gateway which would allow you to control each of your garage doors via the MyQ app.

Those types of systems are helpful for sure & I agree that just about everyone should have something like that in place in 2021 even if it's very basic to start. I've got a smart home automation system that covers over 100 devices in and around our house including my garage doors. So I'm covered there but I also like to have layers and options to my solutions.

A great example of when this would be useful is when we go visit our in-laws out-of-state. They don't have the same SHA setup I do and even if they did I likely wouldn't have access to it. We use their attached garage that doesn't have direct access to the house through a door. There's the main overhead door we pull the car in and out of then a back door that goes into the backyard first and then the rear door of the house. Often times it's easier to access the car from the overhead door in the front via the front door of the house. But if I forget to change what door the car sees as the "default" when we arrive I'm SOL. It would be very handy in this instance and I'm sure many others I'm not thinking of to access this set of options form within the app. I'm sure those with multiple garage doors and/or sentry gates could think of many uses as well.

Not being able to select which door you want to trigger from within the app seems like a simple oversight to me and one that would be easily addressed. Also, not everyone has the same elaborate setup I do and would like to be able to control their garage doors independently. I love that Tesla thought of something that's so outside the box of conventional thinking I just wish they'd take it that next step in functionality.

Last edited:
Indeed which is why I tweeted at Elon for a feature change

Hopefully positive change comes of it. I was just trying to point out that I misunderstood what it was you were asking in your first post or I would have supplied that info earlier for you. Glad you were able to get it from other resources though as that's certainly one they don't make immediately apparent. When they first launched this "feature" there was basically no instruction at all so imagine trying to find for the first time where that setting was buried on your own if you never ever use Summon. lol