Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App, No Keyfob, Rolling Windows Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Droschke

Mar 8, 2015
Future
Today, I decided to run a few tests with the Tesla app remote controls without the keyfob. I could unlock, start the car. Other controls worked as expected, till I decided to manually roll down the driver side window, BUT not rolling it up. The app appears to have no control for rolling up the windows, unless I’m missing it. The only way to roll the window up was with the presence of the keyfob.

So, if you don’t have the keyfob with you for some reason, and are using the app and happened to roll a window down then you can’t roll it up anymore unless you have a working fob?

From your signature, you have a model S so I dont know if this is the same on model S vs 3. There is a setting for model 3s to close windows when the door is locked. If this is a concern for you, see if you can enable that setting.

The app has a "vent" setting which slightly rolls down all windows, but does not have a setting that rolls down or up the windows. On a model 3 the only way the keyfob rolls up the windows is if you continue to press the "lock" button.

============================
(for model 3s)

You can also enable Close Windows on Lock by touching Controls > Locks > Close Windows on Lock. When enabled, your vehicle automatically closes the windows when Model 3 locks.

@jjrandorin - Thanks for your response.

What I posted about is that it appears when using ONLY the app to unlock and start the car, you can manually roll down a window (as usual and expected), but you can't manually roll it up anymore unless and until you get your keyfob within proximity of the car. In this situation the app offers no help.

I hope I was able to make it clear this time.

The current behavior - Tested with my car in my signature:
  1. You don’t have your keyfob with you
  2. You use the Tesla app to unlock doors get into the car successfully
  3. You manually roll down the driver side window successfully
  4. Your attempt to roll up the window manually is unsuccessful (unless your keyfob is present)

Expected Behavior:

#4) You should be able to roll up the window manually

Last edited:
The current behavior:
  1. You don’t have your keyfob with you
  2. You use the Tesla app to unlock doors get into the car successfully
  3. You manually roll down the driver side window successfully
  4. Your attempt to roll up the window manually is unsuccessful (unless your keyfob is present)

Expected Behavior:

#4) You should be able to roll up the window manually

I think you should also be specifying that this is with the car in your signature, which is a 2015 model S which does not support "phone as key" functionality. As such, no testing I would do on my own vehicle (or that anyone else with a tesla vehicle that supports phone as key) would be relevant.

I think you should also be specifying that this is with the car in your signature, which is a 2015 model S which does not support "phone as key" functionality. As such, no testing I would do on my own vehicle (or that anyone else with a tesla vehicle that supports phone as key) would be relevant.

I edit my post per your good suggestion.

This is not really the "phone as key" feature introduced for the newer cars than mine. It is about the reliance on the Tesla app (even for my class of cars) and when in rare cases the app functionalities are available to enter the car and start driving without a keyfob (people lose keys). Only that if you manually (and naturally) roll down your window (yes, it does happen) in this situation, you won't be able to manually roll it back up until you get the hold of a working keyfob.

I'm not sure if other owners of my category of cars are aware of the same use case I've described above. It can start to rain outside.

Let's see if another owner can actually validate or invalidate my test, regardless of the car model/year.

Reactions: jjrandorin