Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Austin, and 2021 Model Y Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hurricane4911

IT Guy From 1980-2013, Retired
Jul 29, 2021
Tampa
Hey,
We've all seen the gyrations of EDDs over the past month PLUS we have seen pre-production Model Y vehicles rolling off the assembly line at Giga-Austin. We know these cars will be equipped with the 2170 cells, for a while. We also surmise the standard range 3 and Y will come from Fremont.

I have an an EDD of 11/5 - 11/25 for my MYLR. Is it possible to see some Nov-Dec east coast deliveries come out of Austin?
🤔

I think the reason that a lot of recent orders for MYLRs have no EDD is because they are waiting to see when Austin will come online before committing to production dates. This sucks for those of us with recent orders. Even if they could only give a vague EDD like "January", I would be happier than haveing zero idea of when my car will be built. No EDD is like "we will get to it when we can which is so far in the future that we can't commit to anything."

Hard to say. I had an "October" EDD for about a week after I ordered at the end of July and then it disappeared for a while. Like you, I wondered if it had to do with the TX Gigafactory but now I'm more inclined to think that it's just a cyclic thing that happens over the course of production.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
This will certaintly be interesting. When, and who gets the first cars out of Austin. The big differentiator, imo, is the front end giga press. Who gets the first "solid" MDY?

Those in the January EDD cloud on the east coast could feel pretty good at getting an Austin MDY. Unless my November EDD slips, I figure mine is coming from Fremont to Florida. Then again, I was surprised they were running pre-production Y's in the yet-to-be-finished building.

2170-4680 battery cell turnover in 3,Y are farther down the road than most realize I believe. Backlogs are months long and both have just been refreshed.

Keep an eye on those drone videos on YT for what's happening on the ground in Austin.
😎

Reactions: mrwug
This will certaintly be interesting. When, and who gets the first cars out of Austin. The big differentiator, imo, is the front end giga press. Who gets the first "solid" MDY?

Those in the January EDD cloud on the east coast could feel pretty good at getting an Austin MDY. Unless my November EDD slips, I figure mine is coming from Fremont to Florida. Then again, I was surprised they were running pre-production Y's in the yet-to-be-finished building.

2170-4680 battery cell turnover in 3,Y are farther down the road than most realize I believe. Backlogs are months long and both have just been refreshed.

Keep an eye on those drone videos on YT for what's happening on the ground in Austin.
😎
I don't see yet any good foundation (cement or asphalt) parking lots created for the mass production. That may be a give away on when production will ramp.

I don't see yet any good foundation (cement or asphalt) parking lots created for the mass production. That may be a give away on when production will ramp.
Thats something to keep an eye on.
Multiple rows of what look like outdoor chargers, and a large bank of superchargers are already in place. These on the west side. Superchargers are on the east side at contractor lot.

Photo credit to "Texas Terrafactory" on YT.
Screenshot_20210910-095829_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie
My MYLR order from 20-May just got bumped out again to 26-Oct - 6-Nov. Seems they are kicking the can down the road on the Y's, but window did tighten up from 15-Oct to 4-Nov. Hard to say if this is the influence on ATX readiness or not.
What is your config? That's a 5+ month delivery time which is strange for May orders.

Not bragging but my EDD just jumped to 11/14-12/12 with an order date of 9/5. I think orders with readily available parts are being bumped up before the switch to Austin. Those waiting for parts are being pushed to 2022 and Austin. I fully expect a Fremont MY which I would actually prefer since I don't want a car off of a brand new production line.

Pretty standard outside of the tow hitch:
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Tow Hitch
According to the order spreadsheet, there were 6 orders placed after yours that have taken delivery. But none post June OD so I guess it's not too out of place. I wouldn't be happy waiting that long. Ugh!

I think that the paint color is the bottleneck. Again, looking at the spreadsheet, since you placed your order, there have been more than double the amount of Pearl White cars ordered than MSM. Tesla likely groups all of the smaller paint runs together so they have to reconfigure the paint equipment as little as possible. So the range of OD mapped to a production run is likely higher for paint colors that have low order numbers.