Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla e-bike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla really needs to explore this more... comparing my M3 to my electric bike the efficiency difference is more than an order of magnitude, on a really cold day almost 2 orders of magnitude (the bike is about 50x more efficient) because the M3 has to preheat and stay warm while parked at work.

Last edited:
An e-bike is not really a bicycle but e-bikes are a new modern type of Moped.

Some of those new e-bikes, especially with big tires, are so hudge and heavy
and go so fast that they should not be authorised to ride on bicycle lanes or sidewalk
as they can be dangerous for other bicycles and pedestrians.

As an avid cyclist I can tell you they provide an excellent draft/pace, it's Keirin on my local roads now!

If the ebike is replacing a car I think it's worth the slightly increased risk to other cyclist and pedestrians. An ebike can easily achieve 50 miles per kWh, good luck doing that with an electric car!

There are lots of problems with most current "mass market" ebikes (shady companies, poor battery pack life, cheap components, heavy weight to name a few) so if you want a decent one you have to spend motorcycle money, at least $5K for a good one. But isn't that where Tesla started 15 years ago, expensive niche products?

In full disclosure I own an electric bike that I use to commute and shop. I almost never pedal the bike because it makes almost no difference in speed. It's not really meant for exercise.