Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to charge an e-bike with a model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most extensive discussion here on the topic of powering things with a tesla in model 3 / Y subforums is here:

The discussion started with older model 3s with lead acid 12v batteries, and I am not into this discussion so I have not followed it closely at all, but the later pages would likely discuss vehicles with ryzen processors if that discussion exists.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Would anyone know if there’s any way to outfit my Model Y to charge external devices such as e-bikes?
I suggest getting a portable power station such as those from Jackery. You can charge them up slowly from the car's "12" volt outlet and then plug your 120v bike charger (or whatever) into the power station to charge the bike. I think this is what Bryan Hauer does on his travels.

If you plan to use this frequently then you might want to get a power station with LFP batteries for better longevity. I recently got a reconditioned Jackery 1500 for about half price. It doesn't have LFP batteries but I don't plan to use it enough to need them.

People also use these power stations for 12 volt refrigerators and even for induction cook tops. If you're looking to get a kWh or two of 120v AC from the car then this is the way to go IMO.

Reactions: pipestem
newer model Y has lithium 16v battery outlets but apparently Jackery still charges from the outlet so yes that is the best option

if you have older 12v battery you can buy a cigarette lighter inverter with a AC plug socket but ebike chargers typically request 300w or more and a 12v inverter will probably max out well below that around 200w before blowing a fuse

If I'm not mistaken, using your Tesla as a power source will void the battery warranty. I believe they do that because they're afraid that if people start using their cars as home batteries it will eat in to Tesla Wall sales.
Using the "12" volt outlets in the car will not void the warranty. Likewise using the usb charging ports won't void the warranty.

But I don't think it would be nefarious for Tesla to void the warranty if you use your car as a substantial power source because the battery is only warrantied for time and mileage, not charging cycles. Constantly cycling the battery would be an easy way to keep getting new batteries from Tesla for free.

To put this in perspective, drawing 100 watts from the "12" volt outlet 24-7 for a year would only require about 12 additional cycles of the main battery. Continuously discharging and charging it at 250 kW would cause it to go through 36 cycles per day and wear out the battery in about a month. I'm sure this is similar to what Tesla does when they measure how many cycles their batteries can withstand.

It's good to remember that on average cars spend about 95% of the time parked doing nothing. They are only driven 5% of the time.