Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger, dynamic change of charge rate over Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Are there any rumors if Tesla is working on making the gen 3 wall charger with wifi, work with home automation systems ?

I have a solar system, which is integrated into Home Assistant, it would be great if the tesla charger would integrate into Home assistant as well, and one could control the charge rate, on the fly this way.

Would be trivial to set up automation to adjust charge rate, based on "Solar produced minus power used by house" This would maximize the amount of power fed to the car.

I have seen someone make som fidgety solutions with the load sharing feature, but it would be awesome if the charger just had an entity in Home Assistant where the charge current could be controlled.

So...Do we know if Tesla is likely to make the charger, do this, via wifi ?

My guess is that adjustments to the amperage settings are locked behind the local IP of the unit only. There are apps that can interact with the external API to view data from the wall connector, but anything else as far as modifying the settings are hidden behind 192.168.92.1 and can't be changed unless you're directly connected to the private wifi only when it is broadcasting.

My guess is that adjustments to the amperage settings are locked behind the local IP of the unit only. There are apps that can interact with the external API to view data from the wall connector, but anything else as far as modifying the settings are hidden behind 192.168.92.1 and can't be changed unless you're directly connected to the private wifi only when it is broadcasting.
The initial amperage setting i have seen has been more to do with limiting the charger from going above, what the actual installation can handle.

If i use a certain thickness of cable that can handle, say 30 amps, the charger is set to never go above 30 amps.

What i want to do is adjust the charging amps on the fly, inside of the max.

If i plug the car in, and i have, say 3000 watts in surplus from the solar, it will then do 3000 watts to the car, but then my wife turns on the dishwasher, so now i only have 1000 watts surplus, and i want the charger to dynamically lower the charge wattage to 1000 for as long as the washing machine uses power to heat the water.

The charger has a feature where you can daisychain multiple chargers for load sharing, and i have seen som projects where they put up one charger, and then some electronics that emulated another charger, and set the electronics as master. This way they could fool the charger to lower the charge rate, because the master charger told the actual charger that it had to load share.

It would just be a lot better if the charger had and API, that could interface with for example Home Assistant, and i could make HA command the charger to increase or lower the charge wattage on the fly.

As said, i have an entity in my HA, from my solar system, that shows surplus energy from the solar panels, so all that i would need is a way to control the wall charger.

I've written a python script to do just this. Hoping on some surplus sun tomorrow to test it properly, had been challenging recently in the UK.
My setup isn't with home assistant but rather with emonpi.
HA should be doable though.
Basically, emonpi publishes the output of the current clamps to MQTT topics.
My script just subscribes to these topics and based on the surplus solar, should call the start/stop and setcurrent API's.
In my case, I'm calling the Tessie API's as I have that on my phone.
I won't have that much solar spare over running the house but I expect to be able to modulate between 5A, 6A and maybe 7A.
There may be a better way via emonpi API's but my present quick and dirty method should work for me and I'm sure Home Assistant will have very similar feeds available.