Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can't I use my home Tesla Charger to charge a non-Tesla Vehicle.

Here's the problem. My Tesla Y was hit by a deer. It went in for repairs. The rental was a Volvo Electric, not my choice. Different plug. I drive 100 miles a day so trickle charge won't work with that car. So I purchased an adapted, but that doesn't seem to work either. So I have a car I can't use and I've spent almost every spar minute trying to charge this car. If I take it to a charger it needs 6-10 hours at 30A to charge, I need someone to pick me up from where the charger is and then take me back so I can drive the car. The Volvo won't charge at a higher rate.

One thing for sure, I'm glade I didn't buy a Volvo Electric, it's a real piece!

Hi,

Sorry, there isnt enough information here to speculate. You didnt say what you mean by "Tesla charger" (wall connector? Mobile connector?), what amperage you have the charger setup for, what exactly is the adapter you purchased that doesnt work, if its a wall connector, if you were the one that set it up, and if so, did you ensure that its not setup for "Tesla only" as far as vehicles go, etc.

1698360684781.png

It's the home charger. I have a 50A breaker on the home unit. When I charge my Y I usually set it to 24A. However it won't let me charge the Volvo.

Ok, as @smogne41 said, the first thing I would check in this case is, there is a setting on the wall connector that says "only teslas" or allows non tesla vehicles (Tesla gen 3 wall connectors). that setting is not applicable for Tesla gen 2 wall connectors, but if you have a gen 3 one (last 3 ish years or so), then you might need to check that setting.

Thats the first thing I would check, and even if it is set for non tesla vehicle charging, set it again and power cycle.

After that, you need to look at your adapter (whatever it is you bought) that goes from "tesla to non tesla" and see if its connected correctly, etc. It can take 30-40 seconds for a non tesla vehicle to start charging, is my understanding, even if other things are set correctly.

No nothing that says Tesla's only. Yes the adapter was connected correctly. The car knew it was connected, but it never turned on. I have the one show in the image above. It was purchased in the last year, my Y is only 11 months old.

Yea it's not going to work. I tried recycling the power. It gets an error every time. Unless theres somewhere in the software that I can go on the app to allow this I'm guessing you can't use the wall charger I have with a non-tesla car.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Yea it's not going to work. I tried recycling the power. It gets an error every time. Unless theres somewhere in the software that I can go on the app to allow this I'm guessing you can't use the wall charger I have with a non-tesla car.
Did you go through the whole commissioning process via the Wall Connector's wifi SSID? Is Access Control set correctly?

Reactions: jjrandorin
You are doing something wrong.

Plenty of people use the Tesla Wall Connector to charge other EVs with an adapter just fine.

Either your Wall connector settings are wrong, the adapter is defective, or there is a setting on the car that is preventing it from charging such as if it was previously set up to only charge between certain hours.

Otherwise you need to find a public third party fast charger near you, not a level 2 charger which takes hours. Download the plug share app. Look for EVgo, Electrify America. Or the navigation system in the Volvo should let you search for chargers too.

F-in Yes, Here's the procedure.

1) Turn Cell data off on the cell phone.
2) Recycle power on the breaker, if you don't do this you won't see the wall unit... I actually have a 60A breaker.
3) Then you will be able to connect to the wall unit.
4) Once in goto Access Control and set it so any vehicle can use the charger.

badda bing badda boom all is well with the universe. Thanks to everyone who helped...