Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging me $200 for diagnosis of why THEY broke my car....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my MCU replaced one month out of warranty ($2200), when I got it back the dash screen took 15-30 seconds to boot up after entering the car. I called them and they scheduled a mobile service and then changed it to drop off and just sent me a diagnostic charge to accept.... Pretty F-cked up on their part

Just because it's "automated" doesn't excuse it. Tesla "customer service" support is the worst.
I've had very good luck. But I realize many have not and I really do understand the frustration. I really do wish they would get their crap together. Seams like it's very service center specific.

But I've also been in the service centers and heard people asking for crazy things. Like why are they not covering tire wear under warranty and that it was a bumper to bumper 100k warranty.

I've had very good luck. But I realize many have not and I really do understand the frustration. I really do wish they would get their crap together. Seams like it's very service center specific.

But I've also been in the service centers and heard people asking for crazy things. Like why are they not covering tire wear under warranty and that it was a bumper to bumper 100k warranty.

No Its not, at least in the bay area, Ive been to 4 different centers, no one gives a sh-t

Reactions: Ostrichsak
A lot of times the estimates are automatic and sent without thought.

your replacement mcu should be under warranty.

Of course it is (well except for the fact that i have an aftermarket stereo which they said caused the failure and I had to explain magnesson moss to them like they had no clue) but thats not the issue, if you are familiar with cascade failure the MCU is newer than the DASH screen which now is functional (if you think waiting 30 seconds to drive your car after getting in) but definitley rebooting with tesla logo EVERY SINGLE TIME i get in.

This is current policy with most dealerships. They let you know that if it is determined that the fix is not covered under warranty, you will be responsible for the amount stated.
If it is covered under warranty, that fee will be covered.

Too many people bring their cars in and want everything checked out for free. Then have only the warranty covered stuff repaired and live with those items not covered. Big hassle for the service centers to give free diagnostics, only to find the problem was covered by aftermarket accessories. Can't afford to be a free diagnostics center.

I had cooling problems. I wanted to pay for the diagnostic test. They said no. They refused to schedule test. Well the SC logged into my car, determined #2 water pump was bad. Sent me the bill to confirm replacement of pump. $600. I never accepted the bill and appointment.
I got pump off Ebay for $100. Took 5 minutes to change it. I bought 12v battery Monday. System sent me automated bill. To accept, I'd already paid and gone home.
It's a stupid system with zero Karma built in.
Dont get me going about SC caring. NOT

My 2 year old, 30,000 miles Model 3 has developed an annoying loud creaking sound, it is hard to tell where it is coming from.
I made an appointment with my local service center and was shocked to get an estimate to LOOK at the car - $195.00. I am supposed to sign and agree to that charge before being allowed to bring my car in.
I’m used to Tesla, and every other car service center I have ever dealt with, diagnosing problems at no charge and providing an estimate to repair. Is this normal??

This is no different than any other ICE dealership I have dealt with. You take your vehicle in saying there is a repair that should be under warranty and you still have to sign a paper saying that if it's NOT under warranty you have to pay the diag fee.