Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts system prices by an average of $3,000 - $5,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 6.6 kW, what is your monthly usage? I'm also in PA just three hours east of you. Who is the lower priced installer you were quoted by?
That quote was before I got my model 3 which since I drive 25-30k a year is no longer accurate. before it was about 500kwh a month and now 1100kwh The new quote I got from Tesla was for a 13kw system and it was around 40k. They are now working to price match the $2.49/w from the local solar place. The local place I have been talking with is Energy Independent Systems. If you are trying to figure out local places look for local building permits online and search them for solar related permits. You'll see which companies are doing most of the installs in your area.

Reactions: 3laine
i'm in upstate NY and purchased directly via Tesla/Solar City ....system installed just last month. Total installed cost of a 6.5KW system (20 x 325w panels) with 2 Powerwall II's was $38k. Minus Federal and NYS tax credits it was just about $21k out of pocket ($11.4k federal credit, $5k NYS credit). I tried to negotiate during the sales cycle and they said they needed quotes from other providers in order to consider any additional concession. I was too lazy. I realize I overpaid a bit but still very happy with my decision. Tesla just jacked the price on Powerwalls by 10%+.

Babaron, how did you contact Tesla for your Sarasota install? I'm asking because I'm building down in Charlotte County and looking at solar panels with a Powerwall 2 installation.

There's a vendor in Sarasota claiming to be an official Powerwall installer. Tesla Powerwall Home Battery | Brilliant Harvest

Is that who you used? Or did you go through the Tesla gallery contact to initiate the estimates.

I want to give my builder some guidance and double check his planning. Thanks.

Wheelerwbrian, I went thru Tesla's website to initiate the contact. They sent out a rep, Robb Smith, who worked with me to design the system. After that, I got competing quotes from 3 area installers, the best of which Tesla matched. Solar install done and now waiting on Powerwalls.

Robb has been outstanding during the whole process. If you would like to contact him, his email is [email protected]. Tell him I sent you:)

Reactions: 3laine
I just went on the EnergySage website and filled in my info. Within a couple days, I had several quotes, which I emailed to Tesla and went from $3.24/W to $2.63/W. Super easy... but still pretty sketchy that they were originally 23% higher.

They just don't update their prices often. Their $3.25 has been pretty standard for a while now, though now it is lower. Unfortunately, they do their solar very "Un-Tesla" like. They quote you the MSRP and if you don't haggle you just pay the list price. I guess that's part of the price we pay for the bad solar city acquisition. They need to make up some money somehow. Anyone doing a home project should always get multiple quotes. I think they did notice they were falling behind though and that was part of why they were doing the price adjustments.

Energysage is a good website for some quick quotes... that is where I went too.. though the instant quotes and the price per watt are not accurate, they did provide good leads.

• Informative
Reactions: Jtt777
I just got a quote today from Tesla Energy for $4.04/w so it seems like I should shop around and send those quotes back to them if I want to stick with Tesla. It was only a 4.55 kW system and they seemed to indicate that it was a lower price because I went over a certain threshold but now I'm feeling like it's sketchy if some of you have gotten as low as $2.49/w!

Tesla’s first quote was for 3.97w and a solar city string inverter. After sending in a couple quotes from competitors and some more negotiating, I ended up with a SolarEdge HD wave with optimizers for 3.32w.

Also got two Powerwalls though the price of the Powerwalls never changed through the course of negotiations.

This was a central CA install location.

I have an appointment with a Tesla Energy Advisor on 1/11. I just requested quotes from Energy Sage so, hopefully I will have a good place to atart the negotiations. Thx for the i fo.

Since you are in NOVA, my primary quote was from P.E.G. Solar, who was very prompt in responses and ultimately what I used to drive my Tesla rate down. They also do a lot of youtube videos about solar installation and information. (The guy Joe who does the youtube videos is the one I was talking to in my quotes) Their quote not only helped in bringing down my price but got my included panels upgraded (on paper to Tesla 325 Panels) which got upgraded again on delivery to 330 panels. Tesla could be a little slow in response times but having all of their paperwork and installation progress all shown through a web portal was a nice plus.

Also, keep in mind that when you get a quote on EnergySage, the initial numbers are fudged. They are based mostly on the data you fill in and assuming no obstructions on your roof, setbacks for code, etc. In reality, those things change. You have restrictions on where you can put panels on your roof, etc. Just use the company leads and contact them.

My installation actually started on Friday (the 4th) and will resume tomorrow. I was really impressed with the electrical guys (Both of which were former solar city employees) and spent most of the day talking with them as they worked. They really knew their stuff and had no problem talking me through what they were doing the whole way as they did it so I understood how all of the new wiring worked. They were very friendly. I had no delays at all with my powerwalls either.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CamDLux
Since you are in NOVA, my primary quote was from P.E.G. Solar, who was very prompt in responses and ultimately what I used to drive my Tesla rate down. They also do a lot of youtube videos about solar installation and information. (The guy Joe who does the youtube videos is the one I was talking to in my quotes) Their quote not only helped in bringing down my price but got my included panels upgraded (on paper to Tesla 325 Panels) which got upgraded again on delivery to 330 panels. Tesla could be a little slow in response times but having all of their paperwork and installation progress all shown through a web portal was a nice plus.

Also, keep in mind that when you get a quote on EnergySage, the initial numbers are fudged. They are based mostly on the data you fill in and assuming no obstructions on your roof, setbacks for code, etc. In reality, those things change. You have restrictions on where you can put panels on your roof, etc. Just use the company leads and contact them.

My installation actually started on Friday (the 4th) and will resume tomorrow. I was really impressed with the electrical guys (Both of which were former solar city employees) and spent most of the day talking with them as they worked. They really knew their stuff and had no problem talking me through what they were doing the whole way as they did it so I understood how all of the new wiring worked. They were very friendly. I had no delays at all with my powerwalls either.
Excellent info. Thank you.