Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Approved-Used vs. Parkers, CAP etc. price chasm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed the bizarre discrepancy between prices of Tesla approved-used vehicles and CAP/Parkers prices?

M3SR+ 2020/21 (70 plate, 2021 model), 31k miles, otherwise identical spec on the website are in the region of £26-28k whereas the current Parkers value for our car (based on 40k miles, as I'm too cheap to pay for it :)) top retail is £20/21k - and this is backed-up by a quick Autotrader search (same criteria).

it's not even trade vs. non-trade sellers.. other dealers are in the Parkers range.

This unfortunate situation has arisen due to a write-off of our M3, I'm appealing their top CAP valuation of just under £21k with the Tesla approved-new prices.. but the price delta is just mind-boggling to me and not filling me with hope.

Are Tesla just chancing it that demand outstrips supply & people will just buy at a significant premium? I assume they're shifting inventory & given the way they sell stock from the site it's not like it's open to a traditional negotiation with an actual sales-human.

Has anyone noticed the bizarre discrepancy between prices of Tesla approved-used vehicles and CAP/Parkers prices?

M3SR+ 2020/21 (70 plate, 2021 model), 31k miles, otherwise identical spec on the website are in the region of £26-28k whereas the current Parkers value for our car (based on 40k miles, as I'm too cheap to pay for it :)) top retail is £20/21k - and this is backed-up by a quick Autotrader search (same criteria).

it's not even trade vs. non-trade sellers.. other dealers are in the Parkers range.

This unfortunate situation has arisen due to a write-off of our M3, I'm appealing their top CAP valuation of just under £21k with the Tesla approved-new prices.. but the price delta is just mind-boggling to me and not filling me with hope.

Are Tesla just chancing it that demand outstrips supply & people will just buy at a significant premium? I assume they're shifting inventory & given the way they sell stock from the site it's not like it's open to a traditional negotiation with an actual sales-human.
Insurers will be looking to replace your loss. If the top retail for a comparable model is £21k, and they have offered you £21k - what's the issue?

Apart from wanting another £7k...

Not sure if it is still the same by Tesla's approach used to be to put the cars on at a really high price then keep dropping the price till they sell. Like a sort of Dutch auction. As a result you could often see very similar cars on their site at wildly different prices just based on how long they had been there.
That would explain the high prices if they are still doing that.