Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla dashcam vs aftermarket one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this thread is titled "Tesla dashcam vs aftermarket one", I thought I'd provide a comparison of TeslaCam and Blackvue DR900S.

There was an accident in front of me yesterday, and I captured it with TeslaCam (3/17 MS) and my Blackvue DR900S-2CH — see attached videos. The Blackvue is a 4K camera and was recording in "extreme" quality mode (25Mbps H.265), but because it has a much wider field of view, there are fewer pixels per degree, so the 4K Blackvue DR900S quality at its highest bit rate is about the same as the 1280x960 TeslaCam, in terms of detail. The color is much better on the Blackvue (I assume Tesla could improve the color quality if they put more effort into it). Also note that this is an older model Blackvue. I'm not sure how the newer models compare to the DR900S. [Also, please ignore the black pixels on the left edge from the Blackvue video. I accidentally obscured the camera lens a tiny bit.]

BTW, since TMC doesn't let me upload the original videos, I put them on Flickr and put the links in this post. I am not sure if Flickr transcodes and loses quality. But here they are:

Reactions: SMAlset
Since this thread is titled "Tesla dashcam vs aftermarket one", I thought I'd provide a comparison of TeslaCam and Blackvue DR900S.

There was an accident in front of me yesterday, and I captured it with TeslaCam (3/17 MS) and my Blackvue DR900S-2CH — see attached videos. The Blackvue is a 4K camera and was recording in "extreme" quality mode (25Mbps H.265), but because it has a much wider field of view, there are fewer pixels per degree, so the 4K Blackvue DR900S quality at its highest bit rate is about the same as the 1280x960 TeslaCam, in terms of detail. The color is much better on the Blackvue (I assume Tesla could improve the color quality if they put more effort into it). Also note that this is an older model Blackvue. I'm not sure how the newer models compare to the DR900S. [Also, please ignore the black pixels on the left edge from the Blackvue video. I accidentally obscured the camera lens a tiny bit.]

BTW, since TMC doesn't let me upload the original videos, I put them on Flickr and put the links in this post. I am not sure if Flickr transcodes and loses quality. But here they are:

I shelled out the money for blackvue on my model s. it failed after a 1.5 years, and i paid the $75 for warranty fix. Failed again in a few months. Complained and they only charged half of the 75, failed again within a year. Never again. I'll just use the tesla dash or something cheaper/with a better warranty

i have a blackvues and so far we have been lucky... no issues.
but if you ever watch whaambaam on youtube, they have great dashcam recommendations and super affordable compared to blackvue! we got the one they recommended for our 'beater' commuter..like < $100 and it's been working great and super clear.