Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket subwoofer causing issues with Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a low-current draw amplifier and subwoofer install. Everything seems to work fine, except when my car tries to install software, it fails towards the end of the install. The download works with no issues, it's the actual install that fails. I've gone through everything to try to figure out what's happening and finally took it to a service center. The service tech said it was related to my subwoofer. That it was pulling too much power and causing the installation to fail. The amplifier does turn on when the car turns on, so I can understand the amplifier may be active during a software installation.

It seems like I have two options. Remove the amplifier/subwoofer all together, or disconnect it all right before a software update and then reconnect when it's completed. However, I've seen quite a few folks have aftermarket subwoofers in their Tesla's. Can anyone that has an aftermarket subwoofer let me know how they get around this? I'm hoping it's not as involved as installing another battery. I'd rather just remove the system instead of going through all of that.

I have a low-current draw amplifier and subwoofer install. Everything seems to work fine, except when my car tries to install software, it fails towards the end of the install. The download works with no issues, it's the actual install that fails. I've gone through everything to try to figure out what's happening and finally took it to a service center. The service tech said it was related to my subwoofer. That it was pulling too much power and causing the installation to fail. The amplifier does turn on when the car turns on, so I can understand the amplifier may be active during a software installation.

It seems like I have two options. Remove the amplifier/subwoofer all together, or disconnect it all right before a software update and then reconnect when it's completed. However, I've seen quite a few folks have aftermarket subwoofers in their Tesla's. Can anyone that has an aftermarket subwoofer let me know how they get around this? I'm hoping it's not as involved as installing another battery. I'd rather just remove the system instead of going through all of that.

That depends on where the extra load is hooked to.

Tesla keeps track of consumption from all sources.

If you bypass that tracker, it will detect an unknown loss not accounted for by the tracker.

You are welcome to hook up to known outlets like USBs and Cigarette lighters...

But hooking up to the 12V battery posts is problematic because that bypasses the consumption tracker.

I did actually disconnect everything yesterday and surprisingly soon after got a notification for a software update. It went through with no problem after everything was disconnected.

You are welcome to hook up to known outlets like USBs and Cigarette lighters...

But hooking up to the 12V battery posts is problematic because that bypasses the consumption tracker.

That kind of makes sense. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the amplifier would be able to be sufficiently powered off of the USB or Lighter source. It does pull a lot of power when sound it being produced.

I keep seeing fairly large installations and I'm wondering how folks are working around this problem.