Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fremont reopening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Here's the story from BBC
Tesla ordered to keep main US plant closed

From the BBC article:
"Tesla has been informed that they do not meet those criteria and must not reopen," Alameda County said in a statement. "We welcome Tesla's proactive work on a reopening plan so that once they fit the criteria to reopen, they can do so in a way that protects their employees and the community at large."

Last edited:
What's kind of annoying to me is that exact statement. "We welcome Tesla's proactive work on a reopening plan so that once they fit the criteria to reopen, they can do so in a way that protects their employees and the community at large." What have we all been doing for the past 6-8 weeks? Shouldn't that have been plenty of time to come up with a way to safely re-open? 30% workers in a big huge factory means they will surely be distanced, masks, and gloves for every employee. Sounds like they already have a plan to open safely to me.

Tesla is indeed aggressively trying to open Fremont back up. They have actively emailed employees to come back this week..

However, the county SIP protocol is very much active and for the time being consider Tesla itself to be non-essential and to remain closed. The factory will not be spitting out anything for the time being.

My source - a friend whom works at the heart of the factory.

I would believe Alameda County has something against Tesla.

Vehicle Sales is deemed an essential business.
Manufacturing is deemed available to open during Phase 2.

Unless Tesla completely dropped the ball and didn’t ensure protocols, then this makes sense. But I’m more than positive Tesla is taking precautions but are still being prevented from opening.

Tesla should definitely work more closely with a Rep to see what they need to get things going. Hopefully as soon as next week, they will re-open (30% capacity).

It would be nice if egos got put on the side and these "leaders" (county, state, and corporate) actually talked to each other and agreed on a way to move forward, whether it's the timing of reopening and establishing plans and protocols.

I'd hate to be a Tesla employee with all the mixed messages coming from Tesla leaders and government officials -- prepare to come in, not going to open, maybe next week, maybe next month, come in, stay home. Crazy.

It's happening in my state/county as well -- the governor is sparring with the county mayors and vice versa, complaining about each other.

It would be nice if egos got put on the side and these "leaders" (county, state, and corporate) actually talked to each other and agreed on a way to move forward, whether it's the timing of reopening and establishing plans and protocols.

I'd hate to be a Tesla employee with all the mixed messages coming from Tesla leaders and government officials -- prepare to come in, not going to open, maybe next week, maybe next month, come in, stay home. Crazy.

It's happening in my state/county as well -- the governor is sparring with the county mayors and vice versa, complaining about each other.

Agreed, Fremont is my hometown. So a lot of friends have jobs at the factory and are huge providers of their families. They were furloughed and unemployment benefits are not enough.

The back and forth emails is causing chaos, mentally for them.

COVID is scary. But what’s more scary is people not being able to feed their families and kids starving. Lines for food are only growing. Child starvation rate is skyrocketing.

Is it not fascist to tell citizens who can and who cannot go to work? Keeping people safe from a disease should not involve starving the masses.

Hopefully these workers will be given a choice to go to work if they chose to work so that they can eat and pay their bills.

COVID is scary. But what’s more scary is people not being able to feed their families and kids starving. Lines for food are only growing. Child starvation rate is skyrocketing.

Is it not fascist to tell citizens who can and who cannot go to work? Keeping people safe from a disease should not involve starving the masses.

Hopefully these workers will be given a choice to go to work if they chose to work so that they can eat and pay their bills.
Advocating for second-wave of COVID-19 infections and more deaths in yet another thread? (And I don't think you're an epidemiologist or healthcare professional, so you're getting your MEDICAL/EPIDEMIOLOGICAL information from whom?)

Tell you what: let's wait the incubation period and you tell me if COVID-19 cases are going down in your state and Georgia. You guys are the canaries in the coal mine. But the overwhelming amount of science says you're just asking for a second spike. Let's talk on May 20.

I don't know, it seems highly unlikely that letting Tesla re-open would cause a second wave of Covid-19. If their factory in China opened without issues, their factories in other states and counties have opened without issues, other manufacturing in Alameda county is opening, it seems likely that we are capable of SAFELY re-opening manufacturing at this point.

I don't know, it seems highly unlikely that letting Tesla re-open would cause a second wave of Covid-19. If their factory in China opened without issues, their factories in other states and counties have opened without issues, other manufacturing in Alameda county is opening, it seems likely that we are capable of SAFELY re-opening manufacturing at this point.
I'm not specifically stating there's an issue with Tesla reopening the factory with safeguards. But I absolutely puke at people that think everyone should go back to normal for the sake of the economy. Double puke for those who feel certain demographic groups are disposable.

Reactions: mboni and Jaycha2
I'm not specifically stating there's an issue with Tesla reopening the factory with safeguards. But I absolutely puke at people that think everyone should go back to normal for the sake of the economy. Double puke for those who feel certain demographic groups are disposable.

Again, anyone in healthcare or epidemiology understands that reopening businesses (in general) will result in a second wave. But I am happy to be proven wrong in two weeks.

But I absolutely puke at people that think everyone should go back to normal for the sake of the economy. Double puke for those who feel certain demographic groups are disposable.

I don't think anyone reasonable thinks that things should get back to like they were before, not this year or perhaps even next. But you cannot close everything for year or 18 months either while we wait for vaccine, that may never come, or treatment. Current measures where we close everything down are the crudest and easiest way to attack the problem. This is what we did 100 years ago!

What happened to contact tracing, testing etc.??? How did South Korea managed to do it without closing everything down? How did Sweden?

We need to implement contact tracing. If businesses that are opening are requiring employees to use contact tracing app that would be good way to start. Wide availability of fast anti-body testing is combined with that. If we could test few times a week or even every day as people clock in to work we could safely continue to work...

But leaving people for months on end without income... You are looking at the revolution.

What happened to contact tracing, testing etc.??? How did South Korea managed to do it without closing everything down? How did Sweden?

We need to implement contact tracing.
Agree 1000% with contact tracing. Sweden's (no social distancing) per capita death rate due to COVID-19 is 311.79/M. Denmark's is 90/M. Finland's is 47/M.
Oh, and US is 236/M.

I'd say what Sweden did is not a good thing. South Korea was ahead of the curve with TESTING and isolating positive cases. And disinfecting streets.

The problems are:
(1) antibody testing is inaccurate 25% of the time, and there are a plethora of unapproved tests floating around. RNA testing of the virus is also subject to as much as a 27% false negative rate.
(2) the titer that indicates a level of antibodies sufficient for immunity has not been determined.
(3) the virus has been detected in stool, semen and sputum of "cured" patients. At least one report is for a "cured" patient still shedding virus in sputum 40 days after symptoms resolved.
(4) asymptomatic people are clearly passing the virus to others.

I am on a COVID-19 committee that will determine what our university will do for screening, testing, and isolating students upon campus reopening, so my opinions are more informed than the average joe.