Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Import in Unsupported Country

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am planning to get Tesla Model X 2017 (upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 from Tesla) in unsupported country and was wondering if anyone here who owns one in an unsupported country can answer these questions for me?

1. What do you do for navigation as Maps Data isn’t available in unsupported countries ? Is there any alternative that works via browser or something?
2. Does autopilot work in any capacity? I know full FSD won’t work but can I expect things like assisted driving, lane changing etc to work?
3. I know LTE connectivity won’t work but can I use all connectivity features by connecting the car to portable WiFi hotspot while driving? Is it possible to change SIM easily in this variant of the car?
4. Will iOS or android app work to control various features of the car?
5. Does regular summon feature work, where you can move the car forward or back using app?
6. Does smart summon feature work? Where you can call the car to you in a parking lot?
7. Will software updates come to car normally via wifi?
8. Any other feature limitation that I might come across in unofficial country?

Thanks for your answers!

I looked into this a bit whilst researching to send my Model X from the US to the South of France.

You can replace the SIM card to make the mobile data work in your region. Google a bit about it. Autopilot will work. The supercharging is a different connector. Chademo will work. No factory support, no warranty. App won't work without data but that's resolved once you replace the SIM.

Software updates should occur.

I looked into this a bit whilst researching to send my Model X from the US to the South of France.

You can replace the SIM card to make the mobile data work in your region. Google a bit about it. Autopilot will work. The supercharging is a different connector. Chademo will work. No factory support, no warranty. App won't work without data but that's resolved once you replace the SIM.

Software updates should occur.

Hello

Thanks for your replies. SIM replacement is possible but I want to have exact instructions on how to do it on a UK car, 2017 Model X with upgraded MCU2 from Tesla. If you or anyone can point me towards a tutorial for this, will be very helpful.

The app will not work even if the car is connected to a portable wifi hotspot which is always in the car?

The wifi is switched on and off a lot.. so unless the wifi hotspot is constantly active and on, it could be dropping the connection a bit. For example it will disengage whenever drive is engaged from park.

There are a lot of relevant results if you Google SIM card replacement Model X.. here is one video that shows where it is and the replacement but I'm not going to do the work/research for you.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Thanks for the replies @chdavis. The problem with SIM card replacement is that it is situated in different places for different cars produced at different times and in different regions. So I don't know if the video you shared or the ones shared on the internet will apply to my car.

Seems like 2017 and even some 2018 had some kind of SIM module under the MCU access by way of removing the storage compartment under the screen

it’s either on the MCU board, under it in the aforementioned module or the AP computer behind the glovebox. I would start at most likely/easiest access. Check for the SIM module under the display, if not, move onto the MCU board. Lastly the AP computer.

that’s what I would do.

I’ve also read and been told that Tesla service will perform this replacement in EU and overseas markets because it’s more of a routine thing in the old world