Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x need help from my fellow europeans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone, need your help, just bought a 2018 model x p100d from germany, and i am shipping it to beirut, lebanon where i will be working for the next couple of years. Once bought i requested from tesla to switch the german sim card with a lebanese one that i sent them. they said ok but the closest service center appointment is in 3 weeks, that would mean missing the ship taking the car, so i told them will do it myself one way or the other.
European model s and x sim card is located in or close to the autopilot behind the glove box, and not inside the mcu like american cars, i suppose they knew it had to be replaced in europe according to different markets and not like the us.
My problem is that i need to change the sim, but tesla refuse to give me any kind of indication on how to do it, not even the slightest hint, and in lebanon there is no tesla service center or any kind of presence, and no way to find any kind of info on internet. So please if anyone have any kind of info or hint it will be useful on the location of sim card tray, what to dismantle, if there is any further setting to make etc.. will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I think in Jordan there is a tesla center (you even have superchargers there..)

would it be an option to plan a trip to Amman once you're in Beirut? Although- saying this I don't think you have enough range to make that happen - let alone the routing - either via Damascus or Israel - you have chances of not being let in in Syria with a german car, and travel via Israel might make it difficult to get back into Lebanon.

I think in Jordan there is a tesla center (you even have superchargers there..)

would it be an option to plan a trip to Amman once you're in Beirut? Although- saying this I don't think you have enough range to make that happen - let alone the routing - either via Damascus or Israel - you have chances of not being let in in Syria with a german car, and travel via Israel might make it difficult to get back into Lebanon.
the range is not the issue, but but syria and israel borders are closed

wow.. and it is under the mcu you just had to remove the small box below the screen just like in the youtube video posted here by pvkeep? well that is great news if mine is the same the only difference is that my car is a model x built april 18

Yes. I noticed because at the last SeC visit they forgot to click that box back to where it belongs. It was lying on the passenger seat.
It's a black plastic box, size of a matchbox (bit longer) and with a label that says 'SIM EU-NL' or something like that

Gerard60's answer does make sense IMHO. You can indeed just add a MiFi hotspot in the car and let the car connect to the hotspot. Doesn't require any modifications to the car and works very well

not every car is exactly the same; some do not allow wifi to be active in drivemode

soms will stay connected when switching from Park to Drive, some will disconnect and not-automatic reconnect to wifi, etc etc

seems like i'm on a mission to discover the location of the sim card tray, i hope it will be as easy as Tozz said, but i really doubt, all the gathered data i have shows the sim extender stopped to be under the mcu in the easy access position, it is either somether in or around the autopilot or the worst will be inside the mcu.. i hope i wont have to dismantle all the car to discover.
please guys any info would help
maybe by chance someone that works at tesla service center will see this thread and help

@dhayek please first give us an update.
Did you remove the tray under the MCU?
And did you find the large matchbox as described by Tozz?
Don’t ask for more help without exploring yourself if the information already given was helpful.
Hello. Yes i did and unfortunately no sim extender under the tray.. :(
btw this is the sim extender aka matchbox i had on my previous 2017 model s P100D

Attachments

• 62B80F6C-CE4A-4453-9FDC-E7AC9895C41A.jpeg
    62B80F6C-CE4A-4453-9FDC-E7AC9895C41A.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shthpnz