Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you send the details for the Alaska Owners Group? My family is moving to Alaska in January for work and we have been trying to figure out the best way to get our MX 75D to Anchorage...in January. It doesn't seem possible to drive, even if we took the ferry up to Haines, AK from Seattle and drove the rest of the way to Anchorage. I am also worried about proper care being taken with our MX if we used a vehicle transport company (being that most people have never seen a Tesla, much less driven one), although I'd be less worried shipping from Seattle versus Texas, which is where we are now. Any advice helps. Thanks in advance and I look forward to connecting with you via the Alaska Owners Group.

Search for Alaska Tesla Owners on FB. You can request to be added to the group. We have used Totem for shipping our cars from Tacoma to Anchorage. The one way trip is 4 days if I remember. We shipped our Roadster more than once and they always took great care of it. They offer an “auto deck” for high end vehicles which is essentially a trailer that they put your vehicle on. It was about $1800 IIRC. When we bought a 2016 MS, Tesla shipped it to us using Alaska Auto Transport and it arrived just fine.

Chopr147 is trying to start a new wave like bikers do :D Im down to flash back hahaha. Thanks for all the replies I will look for the Facebook group and apply. Unfortunately me being 8+ hours ahead in timezone here in Germany makes it very difficult to talk to a rep for American sales, I literally have to drive to a friends house 20 minutes away to use their international phone line to fix other issues back in the states. I tried emailing a few showroom reps but aside scheduling a test drive they have not replied to my emails. Thankfully I will be back in the greatest country in the world in less than two weeks. MURICA! :)

Bear in mind that sales tax is determined by where the sale takes place. If you take delivery and conclude the sale in Alaska, no tax. If you take ownership in another state and then ship the car to Alaska, you will be taxed according to the laws of the state in which the sale occurred.

Actually, this is more of a "California Thing" because CA taxes all sales, regardless of where you actually live (for now). There is a move afoot to change this as it makes "Factory Delivery" purchases and tours problematic (a la BMW, Porsche, Volvo, MBZ Euro Delivery Programs, but in reverse).

In the vast majority of states one can purchase an auto with temporary tags for several weeks/month so as to allow for driving (or shipping) to one's final destination/home, if you so desire. No taxes are paid on the purchase.

Key point: CA is the outlier and as long as you purchase it elsewhere, you'll be fine.

First time poster. Thanks for setting this forum up.

Just bought the Model 3 performance AWD. Love it, but two things need an answer. Had less than 30 miles on it and noticed a horrible metal on metal grinding sound coming from the front right wheel. Needs to be fixed pronto. Should I go to any dealer since it probably is a brake caliper issue and any of the auto repair shops could probably fix it?

Second....Our 235/35x20 ZR rated tires are terrible on the snow. Slips when we accelerate, slips when regenerative braking occurs, and slips when we brake. No one in Anchorage seems to have a snow tire that fits. Tesla doesn't seem to sell just the tires so I would have to order new rims and winter tires from them for $4000 and it takes 6 weeks to get here. Was going to get HakkaPeliitta 9 but I don't think our size is available.
Thought about ordering the chains that are offered on the Tesla site, but they aren't offered in 20 inch. Blizzax isn't offered in this size either. The 18 and 19 inch rims don't fit or at least Anchorage Tire Center said what they had doesn't fit.

Where is everyone else getting their tires for winter?

On a different note ordered the wall charger and will have it installed. Does anyone have recommendations for an installer?

Talked to the delivery company that has exclusive rights to deliver cars from the Fremont plant. He estimates that there are around 200 Telsas in Anchorage now. Seems like it is time for a Supercharger!!

Thanks!!!

Just bought the Model 3 performance AWD. Love it, but two things need an answer. Had less than 30 miles on it and noticed a horrible metal on metal grinding sound coming from the front right wheel. Needs to be fixed pronto. Should I go to any dealer since it probably is a brake caliper issue and any of the auto repair shops could probably fix it?

Second....Our 235/35x20 ZR rated tires are terrible on the snow. Slips when we accelerate, slips when regenerative braking occurs, and slips when we brake. No one in Anchorage seems to have a snow tire that fits. Tesla doesn't seem to sell just the tires so I would have to order new rims and winter tires from them for $4000 and it takes 6 weeks to get here. Was going to get HakkaPeliitta 9 but I don't think our size is available.
Thought about ordering the chains that are offered on the Tesla site, but they aren't offered in 20 inch. Blizzax isn't offered in this size either. The 18 and 19 inch rims don't fit or at least Anchorage Tire Center said what they had doesn't fit.

On a different note ordered the wall charger and will have it installed. Does anyone have recommendations for an installer?

Talked to the delivery company that has exclusive rights to deliver cars from the Fremont plant. He estimates that there are around 200 Telsas in Anchorage now. Seems like it is time for a Supercharger!!

Thanks!!!
That grinding is usually a small piece of gravel between caliper or pad and the disc. Often simply backing up and applying brakes knocks it out.

Thanks!!!
Also in Anchorage got our tires from Moore and son. We didn’t get a performance because didn’t want the 20”. So I am running Hakka 9’s on 18”. I’m pretty sure you can put on 18 or 19” rims and then get Hakka 9’s.

That grinding is usually a small piece of gravel between caliper or pad and the disc. Often simply backing up and applying brakes knocks it out.
the backing up didn't work, but when we replaced the summer tires and 20" wheels with a set of $2200 tires (Michelin Xice) and 19" rims from tirerack.com the piece of gravel must have fallen out. So much quieter!!!

What do you think about those Hakka 9's?
I’ve always run studded Nokians. Every time I try something else it isn’t as good. Currently have Hakka 4,5,7, and 9 on differant vehicles.
The 9’s are doing amazing especially when it was super cold the other week and on ice. Quieter than our other hakka’s with Much less stud tap. 2 other Tesla owners (I know of) here in Anchorage have put them on theirs. How are the XIce doing?

Here is the Norwegian auto federation annual winter tire test. Hakka 9 was the top tire available in N America. XICE was 2nd best studless
Winter Tire Tests | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club