Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a self-proclaimed tech geek and am fascinated by the Tesla X. I see that Tesla is popular in other cold regions Norway, Sweden, etc. is there anybody in Alaska who has purchased a Tesla vehicle and experienced its performance in cold weather?
The guy at "Like Tesla" youtube channel checked the Alaska car registration records, and found that there are only like 16 Teslas in the entire state of Alaska.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I'm actually not sure about the charge for delivery to Anchorage. We paid a $1200 destination and doc fee which might be it. Or that could be something everyone pays? Best to ask a Tesla rep from sales. At any rate, shipping a car from Tacoma to Anchorage will run about $1800 if you just set it up yourself. Sending one south is about $1300 IIRC.

Driving Anchorage to Fairbanks is something like 380 miles! You are going to need to stop and charge. There are no Superchargers in Alaska however there are quite a few RV parks. Let us know how it goes if you make the run.

....And get on Tesla's case about Destination Chargers throughout the Great Land. I got nowhere with them...only egg all over my face with the laboriously amassed goodwill I spent amongst other accommodation owners in getting them on board for hosting Tesla drivers and acquiring HPWCs....when Tesla responded to my request for same with Big Fat Silence.

So we need others to chime in and let those urban Californians know something about the distances with which all of us daily have to deal

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a Model 3 on order, but may CANCEL it if they do not get their service center up and running. It still says "coming soon." Why they would put that up and do nothing for 3 years, I don't know.
I really want to get with some others about the Ranger Service, how we can make this work together. I'm considering putting up a public charger in Wasilla. I'm interested to hear what response there was from RV parks about using their electricity 14-50 NEMA to charge the car, how much they charge, etc. I heard the Edmonds Import may become the service center in the Mat-Su Valley, but they are not the best company in my experience.

It would be a shame if you cancel your car based solely on the (vapor ware)service center. Tesla has been pretty good about the ranger visits and they now send someone up a couple times a year as needed to take care of customers here in Alaska. You have to bring your car to Anchorage to have it serviced. Back in the good ole days we had to send the car to Seattle or pay 1$/mile. Maybe someday they'll open that service center but I'm not holding my breath. As for charging, we just charge at home. Super convenient. For long distance travel, like to go dip netting I take my F150. Charging at RV parks would only be an option if you wanted to spend the night. The 14-50 is pretty slow.

True. If you pay for the site you get to use the power. Same as anyone else. Ranger visits to Alaska are scheduled through the Seattle Service Center. Call or email them with your questions and concerns about your vehicle that might require a visit.

FYI: It's a LOT prettier and only a bit longer to take not the Parks Hwy but the Glenn + Richardson Hwys between ANC and FBX.
How far from Cantwell are you on the Denali Highway? How does the Tesla handle that rough road? Have you ever needed to be towed? If so, may I asked who towed it? As far as you know, is yours the farthest north of any of the Tesla cars in Alaska? How does your Tesla response to the severe cold? (We had 50 degrees below zero last week in the Interior.) Have you ever tried charging off the outlets in a parking lot or would that take too long? (The reason for all the questions is that I am the co-owner of a towing company in Nenana and I am trying to figure out if we would ever see a Tesla.)

Audubon must have frozen in that last cold snap! Our MS handles great on gravel (and snow/ice) but I would think twice about taking it on the Denali hwy mostly because I wouldn't want the exposure to rock damage. The paved roads are bad enough. Our MS hasn't needed a tow but our Roadster has seen a flatbed more than once. I used Neuman's out of Willow. Extreme cold can really reduce the range especially if the car sits outside and gets cold soaked before beginning the trip. We regularly drive Anchorage to Talkeetna (110mi) and that is never a problem in the MS. In the summer we can round trip without recharging but not in winter. A regular outlet in a parking lot would be pretty slow for trying to recharge but would be better than nothing if the car was going to sit outside all day in the cold. Pretty much like people do here with an ICE. Do you have a 50 amp RV or welder outlet at your shop? Having a 50 amp outlet available is one way to attract a Tesla. Otherwise they just fly on by.

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox
Audubon must have frozen in that last cold snap! Our MS handles great on gravel (and snow/ice) but I would think twice about taking it on the Denali hwy mostly because I wouldn't want the exposure to rock damage. The paved roads are bad enough. Our MS hasn't needed a tow but our Roadster has seen a flatbed more than once. I used Neuman's out of Willow. Extreme cold can really reduce the range especially if the car sits outside and gets cold soaked before beginning the trip. We regularly drive Anchorage to Talkeetna (110mi) and that is never a problem in the MS. In the summer we can round trip without recharging but not in winter. A regular outlet in a parking lot would be pretty slow for trying to recharge but would be better than nothing if the car was going to sit outside all day in the cold. Pretty much like people do here with an ICE. Do you have a 50 amp RV or welder outlet at your shop? Having a 50 amp outlet available is one way to attract a Tesla. Otherwise they just fly on by.

Thanks for responding.We do have a 50 amp welder outlet. Newman's in Willow are good folk. We refer people to them if the disabled vehicle needs to go to Mat/Su Valley or Anchorage and/or if they are south of Hurricane. If you ever drive to Fairbanks, stop at our place, we are at mp 313.6 Parks Highway, 10 miles north of the Nenana. The place with the flags and the Marine statue out front.

Today is a bad day. I think I'm going to cancel my Model 3 Reservation. It looks like I'm about 100,000 out of 400,000 in line. I really wanted to get the tax credit of $7500 and also get the AWD. Tesla announced today that no AWD in 2017, sometime in 2018. There will be no tax credit by then I think. In addition, I talked to them on the phone. They have said all along they will ship West Coast first, but despite my house being further West than them, they are going to ship to the entire US and Florida before HI or AK. They consider us "international." No respect. In addition, there are going to be a lot of bugs on the new cars, and there is no service center in Alaska.

Maybe this is saving my from myself. With the same money I can get a new Genesis G80. I could go for the new Hyundai Ioniq EV coming out this Spring, which looks like the first good Model 3 competitor. It's not Fugly like the BMW i3, Chevy Bolt, or Leaf (They just don't get it).
Really, as sad day.

Today is a bad day. I think I'm going to cancel my Model 3 Reservation. It looks like I'm about 100,000 out of 400,000 in line. I really wanted to get the tax credit of $7500 and also get the AWD. Tesla announced today that no AWD in 2017, sometime in 2018. There will be no tax credit by then I think. In addition, I talked to them on the phone. They have said all along they will ship West Coast first, but despite my house being further West than them, they are going to ship to the entire US and Florida before HI or AK. They consider us "international." No respect. In addition, there are going to be a lot of bugs on the new cars, and there is no service center in Alaska.

Maybe this is saving my from myself. With the same money I can get a new Genesis G80. I could go for the new Hyundai Ioniq EV coming out this Spring, which looks like the first good Model 3 competitor. It's not Fugly like the BMW i3, Chevy Bolt, or Leaf (They just don't get it).
Really, as sad day.
I think most all of 2018 will still get the $7500 federal incentive. The incentive does not end at the moment Tesla hits 200,000 USA cars. It eands something like one or two quarters after the 200,000th car. In any event, as a 4 year Model S owner, I can say "I'd rather own a Model 3 (even without incentive) than any Genesis G80. The G80- is already obsolete as is any ICE.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
MichelleH:

1. No, it's not noisy.
2. Yes, it does lose heat but in your balmy Valley and the Anchorage bowl, which doesn't really get cold, the issue you are going to have to contend with is overall range diminution, rather than a colder interior. MORE IMPORTANTLY, in cold weather the very best way to feel warm in any electric vehicle is to make full use of the radiant & conductive heat supplied by the very efficient seat heaters, rather than the very inefficient convective heat offered by the "warm" air in its blowers. As our cars haven't got an effectively endless supply of heat from their combustion engines, the latter has to make use of the same heat source (radiant/conductive), heat air with it, then blow that air through ducts. It makes infinitely greater sense to use that energy simply to heat the seat...and then directly your body.

Trust us - it works very well.

3. All that said, if you're looking for a new, not used, Model S I would strongly consider the all-glass roof, NOT the sun roof (is that opener still offered? Haven't looked but I thought they've dropped it).

Boondoc:

1. As Gene said, I would not jump to the conclusion that the tax credit will be unavailable to you. Lots of good dicussion throughout this forum on its ins and outs.

2. IF it absolutely is the case Tesla will not directly be delivering Model 3s to AK from the get-go, you always can short-circuit the system by having it delivered to Seattle....and surely you know the ropes from there.

3. Your blanket statement "there are going to be a lot of bugs on the new cars" is as worthy as all blanket statements: not at all. We do not know this. Regardless, those of us who were early adopters can strongly attest to how such an extremely large fraction of any bugs that Tesla has had are correctable remotely. Not all, but most.

4. AWD: No, you do not need it. No. No. No.

No.

No.

5. You always can defer canceling until way down the road. You cannot, however, get in to that 100,000th place in line that you presently occupy for all the tea in China, or something like that. Do consider that before you cancel.

Good info AudubonB . I am not in AK but have heard the same regarding AWD from many people in snowy climates. I had gotten AWD and snow driving is easy. I am excited to be in Alaska come this August but must rent an ICE :eek: Buying gas again for the first time in months :(
I have the sunroof option and noise is NOT a factor. I don't feel a heat problem but it's hard to find a Tesla w/o glass roof to test.
Cold weather kills range! My next Tesla will be a larger battery. (3 year lease )

Too much input from real-world experience driving RWD-only Teslas that has been demonstrated throughout the TMC forum almost since its inception opposes your statement. In our EVs, AWD nicely increases zippiness performance. It does not provide our cars a significant improvement to winter driving. It is almost solely too many decades of experience with ICE vehicles - and bombardment from their marketing arms - that is the reason people think AWD improves snow/ice handling.

Reactions: StealthP3D