Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-ing in Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to use superchargers to travel to Italy. The main difficulty resides in the fact that I will be travelling in the South of Italy I have 2 questions:
- what is the best solution as a backup to using superchargers or in the absence of superchargers nearby? A charging point company that provides easy to use solutions to recharge.
- less important, in order to access the superchargers, does one need to exit each time the highway (knowing that it is a bit cumbersome since these are toll highways). In this sense an alternative to SCs that allow for recharging in service stations along the highway would be very useful.
hope someone sees this
thank you for any suggestion

I am planning to use superchargers to travel to Italy. The main difficulty resides in the fact that I will be travelling in the South of Italy I have 2 questions:
- what is the best solution as a backup to using superchargers or in the absence of superchargers nearby? A charging point company that provides easy to use solutions to recharge.
- less important, in order to access the superchargers, does one need to exit each time the highway (knowing that it is a bit cumbersome since these are toll highways). In this sense an alternative to SCs that allow for recharging in service stations along the highway would be very useful.
hope someone sees this
thank you for any suggestion

I still don't have my M3, but i will try to help you...

You can download the Be Charge app: Be Charge: colonnine di ricarica auto elettriche a portata di app and you can see all the charging point on the map, see if they are avaiable and pay for the charge. The network is quiet big and usually they work.

With the same app you can pay at the few charghing stations that are "inside" the highway. You can find them here: Free To X

Hope this will help! Where will you travel to? If you need any help, i'm from a town near Ferrari's HQ in Maranello :)

Caro amico
grazie tante per la risposta. We will be travelling from Belgium to Marina di Camerota in the South of Campania, an area with basically no chargers... Hence our initial worry (we have our Model S for 4 years but we have never dared to use it to go there, so it will be our first time). We have been lazy so far relying only on Tesla superchargers and on our home charging station. with your help I have uploaded the “be charge” App so as to charge about anywhere (hope i can pay with my credit card registered on the app) and the free to X to get the map of colonnine on the highway so as not to leave it each time (here highways are toll free so it’s no big deal getting out of the the motorway and back again).
Grazie mille per il tuo aiuto!

Reactions: Nimrandir
Hi Bruno,
besides what Nimrandir suggested I would recommend also the Enel X app because it is by far the most widespread network and could be helpful for you while you are staying in the Marina di Camerota area.
SuC are often located outside the highway so, yes, if you don't have "Telepass" it could be more time consuming to exit but consider that, usually, then you will be charging in places that will give you access to nicer restaurants and less crowded services (but this is not true for all superchargers, unfortunately). you will also have the usual "plug and charge" experience of the SuC vs the possible issues you may experience at different fast chargers (not knowing before arrive if it is free or abused, problems with the app or the payment, ecc). So I will definitely suggest to use Suc for the trip and other chargers while you are staying in the area. If you want more specific details on which SuC prefer and why, feel free to ask. hope this helps and buone vacanze in Italia!
ciao,
m