Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance and the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed up for Tesla insurance. On the surface, it looks like it would be a cheaper option so I went with it. I am looking at the data in the Tesla app for driving score. Apparently Tesla doesn’t like my driving. I am in the red for aggressive turning. I noticed it within the last week or so, so I have been extremely gentle on the steering. Still getting dinged. Here is the rub….I have a yoke installed on my Performance. I think the effort to turn is greater with the yoke and I assume Tesla doesn’t like it.

Anyone else seeing similar with the stars? Yoke or no yoke….

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think the effort to turn is greater with the yoke and I assume Tesla doesn’t like it.

If the “aggressive steering” score for insurance is anything like the FSD Beta Saftey Score, it’s based on how many G’s the car experiences in turns. So it would have nothing to do with how much force is used to turn the steering wheel/yoke.

Also, the FSD Safety Score is unreasonably sensitive in what it considers “aggressive steering”. You basically have to drive like a grandma to avoid getting dinged. So that could be the root of the issue.

Reactions: Lindenwood
If the “aggressive steering” score for insurance is anything like the FSD Beta Saftey Score, it’s based on how many G’s the car experiences in turns. So it would have nothing to do with how much force is used to turn the steering wheel/yoke.

Also, the FSD Safety Score is unreasonably sensitive in what it considers “aggressive steering”. You basically have to drive like a grandma to avoid getting dinged. So that could be the root of the issue.
I assure you I’m not pulling G’s lol. I am talking turning left across traffic from a sub division, driving straight for about 3 miles, then turn left into a health club in a turning lane. Score said I was above the median at above 10%. Whatever that made up metric is.

I have been with Tesla Insurance for 6 months and the two dings I receive most are hard braking and unsafe following, never had a problem with aggressive steering. I am achieving 98-99 SS monthly averages and don't generally feel constrained by the tracking as I once did. Without FSD I would likely have a much lower score.

The relevant terms are spelled out clearly on Tesla’s website:

As I suspected, it uses the same “Safety Score” as FSD Beta:

“Your premium is determined based on what vehicle you drive, your provided address, how much you drive, what coverage you select and the vehicle’s monthly Safety Score.”

Aggressive Turning
Aggressive turning is defined as left/right acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.4g. This is the same as an increase in the vehicle’s speed to the left/right larger than 8.9 mph, in one second. Aggressive turning is introduced into the Safety Score formula as the proportion of time (expressed as a percentage) where the vehicle experiences lateral acceleration greater than 0.4g, in either the left or right direction, relative to the proportion of time where the vehicle experiences acceleration greater than 0.2g (4.5 mph in one second), in either the left or right direction. Aggressive turning while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula. The percentage shown in the app is the percentage of turning that is done with excessive force when driving and Autopilot is not engaged. The value is capped at 17.1% in the Safety Score formula.”

As I mentioned above, it’s very easy to get a bad steering score even when driving moderately. You have to take corners extra slow to avoid getting dinged.

And this is why you NEVER give an insurance company your telemetry data.

My company has been offering incentives for years to install a black box transceiver in my vehicles. Hard pass. “You can keep your 5% off or whatever else and stuff it” is the appropriate response.

Tesla knows and tracks EVERYTHING about what your car is doing. I have no doubt that includes the interior camera as well, no matter what they say.

And this is why you NEVER give an insurance company your telemetry data.

My company has been offering incentives for years to install a black box transceiver in my vehicles. Hard pass. “You can keep your 5% off or whatever else and stuff it” is the appropriate response.

Tesla knows and tracks EVERYTHING about what your car is doing. I have no doubt that includes the interior camera as well, no matter what they say.

I was looking at tesla insurance because metlife (my previous insurance company) was purchased, and their already high rates on tesla vehicles were going even higher. When I saw that tesla insurance requires participation in that stupid @%#^% (insert a lot more expletives) "safety score" bullcrap, it was a non starter for me.

Thats also one of the reasons I have not signed up for FSD beta even though I have FSD on my model 3. I am not interested in the SLIGHTEST in signing up for "snap shot" (geico) or ANY other service that says:

===================
"let us plug this box into your car and have access to your driving data, we will give you a small discount but we are also going to rake you over the COALS if you get in an accident and the data shows you were driving unsafely per our description"
===================

I dont even drive that briskly, most times. My Model 3P lifetime wh/mi is 273 with almost 30k miles on it. With that being said, I am not interested in the slightest with anything like this, which basically feels like "Anything you say can and will be used against you........"

The number of people that are ok with handing over this particular data (exactly everything the car knows about how you drive, at all times) to the company that has to pay claims if there is an accident, is astounding to me, and I am not exactly "mr. tinfoil hat guy".

I was looking at tesla insurance because metlife (my previous insurance company) was purchased, and their already high rates on tesla vehicles were going even higher. When I saw that tesla insurance requires participation in that stupid @%#^% (insert a lot more expletives) "safety score" bullcrap, it was a non starter for me.

Thats also one of the reasons I have not signed up for FSD beta even though I have FSD on my model 3. I am not interested in the SLIGHTEST in signing up for "snap shot" (geico) or ANY other service that says:

===================
"let us plug this box into your car and have access to your driving data, we will give you a small discount but we are also going to rake you over the COALS if you get in an accident and the data shows you were driving unsafely per our description"
===================

I dont even drive that briskly, most times. My Model 3P lifetime wh/mi is 273 with almost 30k miles on it. With that being said, I am not interested in the slightest with anything like this, which basically feels like "Anything you say can and will be used against you........"

The number of people that are ok with handing over this particular data (exactly everything the car knows about how you drive, at all times) to the company that has to pay claims if there is an accident, is astounding to me, and I am not exactly "mr. tinfoil hat guy".
+1 let alone paying $12k to have the car decide how it should be driven lest you get kicked out of a beta program you paid $12k for the “privilege” of participating in.

Reactions: jjrandorin
+1 let alone paying $12k to have the car decide how it should be driven lest you get kicked out of a beta program you paid $12k for the “privilege” of participating in.
+1,000 to all of this and more. I like to drive how I like to drive. The last thing I want to do is give my driving info to an insurance company. That's just silly. I don't have FSD, just standard auto pilot. But twice my car has been on auto pilot and I accelerated rapidly while it was still engaged and it turned disengaged. That's fine. Makes sense. But what I'm not sure about is why does it say, "Autopilot is no longer available on this drive". Anyone else experienced that?

But twice my car has been on auto pilot and I accelerated rapidly while it was still engaged and it turned disengaged. That's fine. Makes sense. But what I'm not sure about is why does it say, "Autopilot is no longer available on this drive". Anyone else experienced that?

Yes, everyone who did what you did.

As explained in the owners manual the max speed for AP is 90 mph (80 on vision only cars right now)- So if you exceed that speed by pushing the accelerator while AP is engaged it will lock you out of the system for the rest of the drive.

Same thing it'll do if you ignore the steering wheel nags too often.

This is a common misconception.

Paying 12k for FSD does not entitle you to access to the beta.

Having FSD (via purchase or rental, at any price) is a necessary condition to request access to it.

Those are very different things.

If you get kicked out of the beta for bad driving, you're not losing anything that was promised to you as part of your 12k purchase.

I get the big brother factor but the counter point is the price point. Sure for a 5% discount totally not worth it. But what if the discount becomes 50%?
I think this insurance score is in it's infancy, the crudeness of the safety score makes it seem a poor assessment of insurance risk (like getting dinged for close following if someone changes into your lane). But eventually, I would expect the system to become more accurate in terms of predicting what type of driving behavior really correlates with collision risk. Much like full self driving. I would expect that at some point, the privilege of driving yourself will be cost prohibitive due to the liability of the human driver -v- a statistically safer AI driver. That said, as a FSD Beta user, I can say this is still a ways off!!