Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance - vehicle monitoring data used to determine rates for California drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back. when I signed up for Tesla Insurance in California, I read that only Texas insurance holders had their vehicle/driving data assessed for use in determining their car insurance rates.

On October 14, 2021, Tesla Insurance updated their terms for California drivers. Based on these updated terms, does that mean that California drivers are *now* getting their vehicle driving data logged and used to determine Tesla Insurance rates just like Texas Tesla Insurance drivers?

Here's the relevant section in the updated TOS:
Vehicle Information and Driving Data
We may obtain and use information about your vehicle as well as driving data obtained from your vehicle, including data generated from hardware (e.g., accelerometers, cameras and sensors) and software installed on Tesla vehicles. This may also include data obtained from event data recording systems from any vehicle, including non-Tesla vehicles. You agree to the collection and processing of detailed vehicle data related to your driving and associated with your vehicle identification number or linked to your Tesla Insurance account. This information is used to price your policy, help you develop safe driving habits, provide you with a personalized Safety Score1, improve our products and services, and to help resolve claims that arise under your policy. This may include sharing data back to Tesla, Inc., to facilitate continued enhancements to the vehicle and its safety features.
Examples of vehicle data collected include trip time, mileage, following distance, hard braking, aggressive turning, forward collision warnings, forced autopilot disengagements, and potential/actual safety critical events like accidents or airbag deployments.

As far as I know, it was their intentions from the start.

I think it may still be awhile away since there are a lot of false positives with the safety score. If my rate goes up, then I'll just switch to another carrier if it's comparable. I autox and track my car, so I don't think I would have a good safety score.

I saw that as well, and just like "Pied" I'm keeping an eye on the rate, and if it goes up I plan to switch to another provider. I'm really not a fan of these "monitored" insurance plans. I have no accidents, no tickets, no nothing. I feel like that is how my fees should be determined. I already feel as if I pay insurance and get next to nothing in return for my money. Last thing I want to see is a rate increase because I go to the track or canyon on a weekend.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Mac.95