Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla leases and the $7,500 tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why Tesla applies the $7,500 tax credit to the residual value instead of using it as a cap cost reduction? The way Tesla applies it is worse for the buyer (lessee) as it makes the lease end buyout number $7,500 higher and also makes the monthly payment slightly higher.

Is it simply that Tesla wants to discourage lease buyouts so they can make money selling the turned in car themselves as a CPO and force the customer into another (hopefully Tesla) vehicle?

Do you have any idea of how a lease works? The leasing company gets the tax credit and uses it where they want. .
Of course which is the reason I asked why they chose to add the tax credit to the residual instead of making it a cap cost reduction. They obviously have no problem applying the full $7,500 to the lease deal but do so in a way less favorable to the buyer (lessee) and I was just wondering the motive(s). I gave a 'theory' and was curious if anyone had facts or other theories.

Tesla lease deals aren't very good. Too much money down.
Tesla requires a $2,500 order payment up front which by default is applied to the lease. Do you know for sure that Tesla won't consider refunding that $2,500 at delivery to allow someone to do a $0 down (besides first payment and acquisition fee) lease?