Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Coilover Installation (Does this seem reasonable?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put some Aodhan AFF7 20" wheels (255/35/r20) on my M3P and I love the wheels, problem is I hate the amount of gap there is. I can't go too low as I live in Colorado Springs, CO and have a somewhat steep driveway. But I'm looking to possibly get some MPP comfort coilovers installed and lower it about 1 inch or so. I got a quote for a shop out of Denver (1 hour away) and they are saying they are $185/hr and it takes 7-8 hours to install plus a $225 alignment for a total of $1520 o $1700 to install. I've never had coilovers installed but is this the going rate people see? Thats crazy to me if it is. Let me know what you guys think, and I can't do them myself, i'm a computer geek and not much of a mechanic type.

I have a good set of home tools (including old-fashioned spring compressors) and a regular garage with limited space. I managed to do the whole thing myself in four hours, and the wheel alignment cost me AU$85 afterwards. Maybe they haven't worked on a Tesla and are being super nervous with pricing, or they figure they could take you for a ride.

I did lowering springs with a lift/tool rental bay and two people and it took maybe 5–6 hours with no experience. A good couple hours was just trying to get the upper ball joint out of one side which was refusing to budge. But I figured out you can just unbolt the whole upper control arm and finagle it out of there without messing with the ball joint. After that the other side went quick and the rear was a breeze.

So now could probably do it in under 4 hours. Especially with coil overs since you won’t have to disassemble and reassemble the front strut with a spring compressor so it should go even faster. 8 hours is crazy.

I installed the MSS adjustable height performance spring kit on my M3P in about 5 hours. With a lift and all the right tools. I'm good, but not a professional. 4-6 hours for a full coilover install isn't unreasonable, particularly if you want a specific ride height after it's done. It's a bit of a guess on the initial install, and the rear ride height adjustment is a bit of pain.

I just put some Aodhan AFF7 20" wheels (255/35/r20) on my M3P and I love the wheels, problem is I hate the amount of gap there is. I can't go too low as I live in Colorado Springs, CO and have a somewhat steep driveway. But I'm looking to possibly get some MPP comfort coilovers installed and lower it about 1 inch or so. I got a quote for a shop out of Denver (1 hour away) and they are saying they are $185/hr and it takes 7-8 hours to install plus a $225 alignment for a total of $1520 o $1700 to install. I've never had coilovers installed but is this the going rate people see? Thats crazy to me if it is. Let me know what you guys think, and I can't do them myself, i'm a computer geek and not much of a mechanic type.
Sounds like they're charging book time, which doesn't apply in all cases. Typically - the job is ~4 hours for experienced shops, including height adjustment for most coilover setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
That's a red flag for a shop that's just trying to hose you. 4 hours for an experienced install, anybody who's charging that money is really just trying to take you to the cleaners. There's no justification for that. A really good mechanic who's done this multiple times and work sufficiently can do it in half of the time that they're quoting. I would avoid anybody that gives you this kind of estimate because it's a red flag.

Reactions: FatM3
That's a red flag for a shop that's just trying to hose you. 4 hours for an experienced install, anybody who's charging that money is really just trying to take you to the cleaners. There's no justification for that. A really good mechanic who's done this multiple times and work sufficiently can do it in half of the time that they're quoting. I would avoid anybody that gives you this kind of estimate because it's a red flag.
Thanks, I agree. I got another quote from a different company in town and they gave a quote of $1,000. It included the cost of an alignment and this seems more reasonable.

Reactions: Vaillant
I did lowering springs with a lift/tool rental bay and two people and it took maybe 5–6 hours with no experience. A good couple hours was just trying to get the upper ball joint out of one side which was refusing to budge. But I figured out you can just unbolt the whole upper control arm and finagle it out of there without messing with the ball joint. After that the other side went quick and the rear was a breeze.

So now could probably do it in under 4 hours. Especially with coil overs since you won’t have to disassemble and reassemble the front strut with a spring compressor so it should go even faster. 8 hours is crazy.

I agree, this install for professionals should not take more than 5 hours for professionals with a shop. The MPP coilovers do not come with top hats, so you will have to do disassemble and reassemble the stock and MPP front struts. BUT, with that it only took me the morning on a Saturday to finish.

Maybe ask in the regional forums to find a better shop in your local area. Mountain/Southwest