Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 PPF and ceramic coat NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can completely relate to you having all these thoughts about PPF and ceramic coating. I did too. I watched the videos too. I heard the paint quality is very weak. And that chips and swirls will totally ruin your car. And I fell for it. I had a professional ceramic coating ($1,000) and a professional PPF front bumper ($700) done.

My advice is to don't fall for it. To this day, I regret paying $1,000 for ceramic coating.

If the paint chips and swirls and imperfections start bothering you in a couple of years, you can always have paint correction done for waaay less than $9k. A $50 DIY ceramic coat is enough to give you a nice finish that will make your car easy to clean.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
It's the right move, it is the future and Tesla is the best of breed

Nothing can compare to the instant response
The clean minimalist button and knob festooned free interior
All the little things the car does and can do now
and the things it's going to be able to do in the future...

May your delivery be smooth and the your EV charging stations be unoccupied
thanks for encouraging and kind words. Fingers crossed.

I am glad I had charger installed at home in advance, so all ready to go.
If Model 3 turns out to be good, I already booked Model X and Cyber truck, whatever comes first...

I can completely relate to you having all these thoughts about PPF and ceramic coating. I did too. I watched the videos too. I heard the paint quality is very weak. And that chips and swirls will totally ruin your car. And I fell for it. I had a professional ceramic coating ($1,000) and a professional PPF front bumper ($700) done.

My advice is to don't fall for it. To this day, I regret paying $1,000 for ceramic coating.

If the paint chips and swirls and imperfections start bothering you in a couple of years, you can always have paint correction done for waaay less than $9k. A $50 DIY ceramic coat is enough to give you a nice finish that will make your car easy to clean.
I was reluctant after reading this..... but glad still went.

So after being reluctant to spend all that money away for nothing or overspending for car I might use only until cybertruck/model x is delivered...

I received my model 3 today morning... with scratch on door and few visible places... near to wing mirror... and after driving home I can feel that some more visible issues.

I am glad I went for full PPF + Ceramic multicoat, inside out + wheels... with six monthly maintenance included for next 4 years... as I have a feeling that this car will need it.

PS: So cheap that car was delivered with 25% charge.... I heard many owner panicking if battery goes under 30% for long life of battery. I reached home only 20KMs away with 19% battery left :rolleyes:

They are normally delivered with ~80% charge but you know the whole lockdown thing and trying to get people their cars.

Arriving home with 19% charge isnt bad. just plug it in.

The paint and PDI issues are being brought up via the owners club, its just sloppy bad business even with the whole lockdown thing.
Considering they received cars early in the month, one would think that how hard it is to charge up cars when not possible to get them registered and WOF tested...
Official email received 2 days before says, 75% charged instead of fully charged due to lockdown... luckily I was Aucklander staying within 18 Kms reaching home by using 7% battery out of 25% provided.

Paint was bad reviews all along, and I am super glad I went to wrapping decision... technically car is unfinished if brand new car couldn't be delivered with quality paint.

Well that's disappointing to hear
You should be able to raise these issues with Tesla and have them fixed

I've not heard of anyone panicking over a 30% charge
unless they were on a long drive between chargers perhaps
I heard from garage where I dropped the car and few reviews... I wouldn't personally panic till under 10%.
It's just a feel that if it was a conventional car, full tank is always provided, more of courtesy than benefit.

Well that's disappointing to hear
You should be able to raise these issues with Tesla and have them fixed

I've not heard of anyone panicking over a 30% charge
unless they were on a long drive between chargers perhaps
I heard from garage where I dropped the car and few reviews... I wouldn't personally panic till under 10%.
It's just a feel that if it was a conventional car, full tank is always provided, more of courtesy than benefit.
But Level 4 lockdown until what last wednesday? They are dealing with 1500 cars
Oh thats true... people at Auckland started gathering in a way that sometime totally forget that we just came out of level 4.

Reactions: RobDickinson
So after being reluctant to spend all that money away for nothing or overspending for car I might use only until cybertruck/model x is delivered...

I received my model 3 today morning... with scratch on door and few visible places... near to wing mirror... and after driving home I can feel that some more visible issues.

I am glad I went for full PPF + Ceramic multicoat, inside out + wheels... with six monthly maintenance included for next 4 years... as I have a feeling that this car will need it.

PS: So cheap that car was delivered with 25% charge.... I heard many owner panicking if battery goes under 30% for long life of battery. I reached home only 20KMs away with 19% battery left :rolleyes:
How much did all of that cost you?

How much did all of that cost you?
It's $8951 something... but peace of mind for first 4 years considering what they said "Vehicles maintenance and cleaning (2x per year for 4 years) this includes wash, detail interior, re-application of ceramic Coatings if needed , as well as sealant etc."

And if well maintained for years, PPF bound to last, if not exceed for estimated life of 10 years... 10 years of easy cleaning wheel arches, car, and self healing property of PPF.... priceless (or $9000 ;) )

I hope you noticed that I am talking this for New Zealand market... I am sure at USA you can find something similar for $5000-$6000 tops.
the biggest benefit of a full PPF for me is that I can take the car to an automated car wash (brush and all) without fear of scratches.

spending 10% of the value of a car on paint protection is excessive for me. but if I had the moolah I would totally go for it.

the biggest benefit of a full PPF for me is that I can take the car to an automated car wash (brush and all) without fear of scratches.

spending 10% of the value of a car on paint protection is excessive for me. but if I had the moolah I would totally go for it.
I know... if only Tesla was coming with colour quality like any other luxury car - or least a cheap cars out there... my car was received with scratches and driving home itself introduced few stone chip scratches - little disappointing but more of motivation to get it wrapped.

I am receiving my Model 3 this weekend.... I saw many negative review on colour quality and considering Auckland Transport downgrading roads in recent (means more loose chip) I am planning to do full PPF wrap, ceramic cote, including wheels, and some ceramic coat inside the car (to avoid warping and other issues)....

Any recommendations?
Am I going overkill to spend around 9K on this?
any priore experiance?
XPLE is good? clearcoat?
Had my M3SR+ since Dec 2019. Now K25kms . I had a ceramic polish all over and wrap (3m Product) to the front , lower bonnet, mirrors and lower sides up to the fold along the doors. Also the piano surfaces inside. Total cost about $2000. Now nearly 2 years no scratches or dings The front is unbelievably good. Like others say, get the mud flaps (Teslamania )on line - Quiet easy to fit. I think K9$ is way over the top. I also think getting the extra seals around the doors is worth while, Not sure that it make it any quieter but it sure helps keep the door wells clean. I did mine myself by buying seal by the meter but kits are also available.

• Informative
Had my M3SR+ since Dec 2019. Now K25kms . I had a ceramic polish all over and wrap (3m Product) to the front , lower bonnet, mirrors and lower sides up to the fold along the doors. Also the piano surfaces inside. Total cost about $2000. Now nearly 2 years no scratches or dings The front is unbelievably good. Like others say, get the mud flaps (Teslamania )on line - Quiet easy to fit. I think K9$ is way over the top. I also think getting the extra seals around the doors is worth while, Not sure that it make it any quieter but it sure helps keep the door wells clean. I did mine myself by buying seal by the meter but kits are also available.
Thanks.
My car is almost done... but really appreciate the experience you had.
Car received from tesla had few scratches when received, by the time work started wheel and car had scratches here and there so it was worth getting it wrapped.

Not happy with the way car received from tesla... but again I purchased model 3 as trial before I accept/reject model X delivery in late 2022, so it's all part of the learning... toward the end I might go for model X or walk away from Tesla altogether - regardless, I can sell car in good condition and enjoy when have it.

I agree I spend more than I could have, but again cost covers 4 years upkeep so might be worth it.🤞

Thanks.
My car is almost done... but really appreciate the experience you had.
Car received from tesla had few scratches when received, by the time work started wheel and car had scratches here and there so it was worth getting it wrapped.

Not happy with the way car received from tesla... but again I purchased model 3 as trial before I accept/reject model X delivery in late 2022, so it's all part of the learning... toward the end I might go for model X or walk away from Tesla altogether - regardless, I can sell car in good condition and enjoy when have it.

I agree I spend more than I could have, but again cost covers 4 years upkeep so might be worth it.🤞
You'd better be posting some pics of this glorious beast
Once she's got her party dress/suit of invulnerability on
Ready to solve crimes and save the whales
To the Auditronmobile.....2170 batteries to power, inverters to speed ....
Boo Yahh!

• Funny
Reactions: Miggy and Audietron
You'd better be posting some pics of this glorious beast
Once she's got her party dress/suit of invulnerability on
Ready to solve crimes and save the whales
To the Auditronmobile.....2170 batteries to power, inverters to speed ....
Boo Yahh!
Probably over weekend.
I might receive on Saturday as they are little slow and weren't having extra thickness film for front lower bumper, which I requested based on experience that car was lower than I would like and it would scratch at many drive ways... And yet to add some extras I received for Audio upgrade and turn seats into massage seats.

Probably over weekend.
I might receive on Saturday as they are little slow and weren't having extra thickness film for front lower bumper, which I requested based on experience that car was lower than I would like and it would scratch at many drive ways... And yet to add some extras I received for Audio upgrade and turn seats into massage seats.
Impressive , missing the Auditron cave a butler and a Crime fighting co-pilot side kick
Have your ordered your Tesla bot yet, or does your Wife like wearing tights to much

• Funny