Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Headlight "Base" vs "Up-Level"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2017 Model S 75 equipped with the standard 'Base' headlights. Unfortunately, the LED strip on my headlight brow has burnt out, prompting me to consider replacing both headlights. I'm exploring the possibility of upgrading to the 'Up-Level' headlights and wondering if this swap would be compatible without encountering any issues. Can I seamlessly install the 'Up-Level' headlights in place of the 'Base' ones?

My suspicion is that they’d plug in no problem but you might need a config change in the gateway to activate the “dynamic cornering lights” or whatever they’re called.

FWIW, they’re really kind of a joke and I’d probably not bother if it’s gonna take significant work or cost more.

My suspicion is that they’d plug in no problem but you might need a config change in the gateway to activate the “dynamic cornering lights” or whatever they’re called.

FWIW, they’re really kind of a joke and I’d probably not bother if it’s gonna take significant work or cost more.
Makes sense. Thanks for the quick response! I really like how they look and would like to do the upgrade as I found some for the same price as the "base". I guess the only thing to do is install them and see how it goes.

The lower ones, named fog lights have the cornering light and will function it the car has the configuration set in the gateway. 2017 car’s should already have that function activated. How does the fog light looks like?
My fog lights do not have the cornering function, likely because I didn't opt for the "Lighting Package." In the attached pictures, you can clearly see the difference between the "Base" model and the "Up-Level" model. The "Base" model has a chrome trim piece, whereas the "Up-Level" model does not because the light emits from that area. I prefer the look of more lights, so I'm hoping that if I install the "Up-Level" headlights in my car, they will still function, even though my car originally came with "Base" level headlights.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

After thinking about this I’m not convinced there’s any “up level” headlight option for a 2017 Model S at all. They were all the same.
Since the 2016 Model S, there have been two headlight options available: the "Up-Level" and the "Base." It's quite amusing in this video I attached, a guy is replacing both of his headlights and accidentally installs a "Base" model on the right-hand side and an "Up-Level" model on the left-hand side. At the 15:05 mark, you can see the difference—one headlight has the top light on while the other does not. This mix-up isn't easy to spot; even some Tesla representatives I've spoken to were unaware of the discrepancy.