Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Crash - Aftermath Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear your wife is ok. Looks like the X held up very well. As a collision tech I have seen these cars take a pretty good hit. The only downfall is the lengthy wait for parts. We have had teslas hang around the shop for months before we can get them back to the owners. This is one of my recent jobs.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Ulmo
Man, I feel your pain. We’re going on 11 months in rentals without our Model X with $43k in initial repairs after my wife was in a similar accident. Hang in there. It’s a brutal repair process due to discontinued and damaged replacement parts from Tesla, not to mention insurance is the worst. Hoping to get ours back before the 1.5 year mark.

Really wish Tesla would provide an upgrade path for owners who get stuck in these situations waiting on parts.
This is what makes me think Tesla doesn't really want to use their own product and understand it from the point of view of users.

Man, I feel your pain. We’re going on 11 months in rentals without our Model X with $43k in initial repairs after my wife was in a similar accident. Hang in there. It’s a brutal repair process due to discontinued and damaged replacement parts from Tesla, not to mention insurance is the worst. Hoping to get ours back before the 1.5 year mark.

Really wish Tesla would provide an upgrade path for owners who get stuck in these situations waiting on parts.
Geez... 11 months?! Is it a Model X? And you must have great insurance to cover rentals that long, or else you're just paying out of pocket by now.

Geez... 11 months?! Is it a Model X? And you must have great insurance to cover rentals that long, or else you're just paying out of pocket by now.

I don't know what rental prices on an X are like in the US, but you would think that by now the cost would have eclipsed the cost of the repair. Especially when you consider the other compensation for loss of value etc.

I'm surprised insurance companies have not wised up to this and started factoring it into the calculation when deciding to write the car off or not.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
just a thought. . . . Long rental time, long wait period. repaired vehicle this time next year, crash on record report. etc.
Consider keeping the vehicle, as is, take the repair money [~45K + rental], sell 'X' on ebay as is. [~$40K]. add in ~ $25k yourself. Buy used X on ebay, similar mileage. You'll then have a white model X in three weeks, your $25k is a casualty on Sch A, tax deduction [bracket x 20k] The remainder [your calc. here] is the cost for the minimization of the time of the replacement. 50 wks vs 3 weeks. You might please a buyer with parts from your crash. You might enjoy the flight, to say Texas Direct and the drive home. [another addition to the casualty][19-54cents/mi. depending on the purposes of this vehicle.]
You'd also have, perhaps, the chance to change the option choices you made on your first X. You could get fewer miles or a heftier battery, You would have a clean crash report, and perhaps a longer warranty. But done in 3 weeks is the biggest plus. Worth 10-20K? Well that's why it's a consideration, and not a no brainer.
Sorry for your loss, glad to see your wife walking away.

just a thought. . . . Long rental time, long wait period. repaired vehicle this time next year, crash on record report. etc.
Consider keeping the vehicle, as is, take the repair money [~45K + rental], sell 'X' on ebay as is. [~$40K]. add in ~ $25k yourself. Buy used X on ebay, similar mileage. You'll then have a white model X in three weeks, your $25k is a casualty on Sch A, tax deduction [bracket x 20k] The remainder [your calc. here] is the cost for the minimization of the time of the replacement. 50 wks vs 3 weeks. You might please a buyer with parts from your crash. You might enjoy the flight, to say Texas Direct and the drive home. [another addition to the casualty][19-54cents/mi. depending on the purposes of this vehicle.]
You'd also have, perhaps, the chance to change the option choices you made on your first X. You could get fewer miles or a heftier battery, You would have a clean crash report, and perhaps a longer warranty. But done in 3 weeks is the biggest plus. Worth 10-20K? Well that's why it's a consideration, and not a no brainer.
Wow this is something to truly consider...

Or even use money to buy model S instead and keep the profit...
thanks for the positive kudos and for 'thinking out of the box' with me. I have the S and prefer it. 85D. keep above sept 2015 [ie newer] to preserve AP1. You'll break even or slightly ahead on downgrade to S. miles max is 265 however. . If you crashed an S I'd be asking to be the lucky purchaser. Ebay has much to choose from in clean-record EV cars, including 'texas' and the occasional individual who wants AP2 instead of 0 or 1. If you did add funds you could exceed 300 miles range.

2016 Signature Series P90D. We've been with USAA since 2012 and we will be leaving them and closing out every single other service we have with them the second this is done.

I have fought with them weekly, spent thousands on legal expenses getting our attorney involved. The adjustor literally told me in our last conversation that it doesn't matter if it takes three years to fix the car. If the numbers don't add up, they don't add up. See below for the lunacy about that....

I don't know what rental prices on an X are like in the US, but you would think that by now the cost would have eclipsed the cost of the repair. Especially when you consider the other compensation for loss of value etc.

I'm surprised insurance companies have not wised up to this and started factoring it into the calculation when deciding to write the car off or not.

EXACTLY. I have battled USAA incessantly, as has our lawyer, for nearly a year now. Here are their figures at the beginning:

$43k in original repairs needed (+ $5-10k estimated cushion for additional repairs)
$42k estimated salvage value
$114k estimated value of 2016 Model X P90D
$11k+ in ICE rental vehicles to date (capped at their highest large SUV size of $55/day with Enterprise)

According to USAA's formula, we're at least $5k short of totaling the vehicle. Since day one, I've begged and pleaded to absorb the $5k difference—even $10k difference—for them to total the vehicle. I've argued that their $114k valuation is way too high considering it has 2 incidents on the CarFax now which has destroyed its value (which they don't factor in):

1. Original accident
2. The hail damage that occurred while waiting at the body shop, requiring 100% of the exterior—including the windshield and glass—to be replaced. USAA literally elected to have a body shop rebuild the entirety of a Tesla Model X exterior.

Of course, USAA maintains, that no matter what, it's against their policy and it would not be "fair" to the other members to total the vehicle and let us make up the difference.

Here's my argument:

If you're going to spend minimum $43k regardless, and the shop has told you it will likely take a year, you factor in $10k+ in rental fees, plus the $5k cushion from your original estimation, and you're near $60k when all said and done. This should qualify the vehicle to be totaled.

But since they only measure their cost by the cost of repairs and don't take into account rental costs (not to mention shear length of time and inconvenience for the customer) we don't meet the requirement for total. It's absolutely absurd.

After finding out a couple weeks ago that an Enterprise here in the DFW area rents Teslas, I asked USAA to do right by their long-term customers by arranging to get us into any Tesla for the remaining months, since the fuel charges are in the thousands at this point.

Knowing that we are leaving the second this is done but would be willing to stay if they would do this, they still won't budge. They maintain that their policy is what it is and they can't go beyond the $55 a day rental, as we're already in the highest rental car coverage they offer. No special circumstance. No willingness to do anything.

We actually attempted your suggestion toward the end of summer to see if we could make it work. We had our attorney and a contact reach out to salvage buyers, but the costs didn't pan out, since we'd have taken a $25k hit at the time, and the body shop was optimistic that they could get it done by October-November.

Of course, this was before Tesla sent three broken windshields and discontinued the glass for the rear doors. They've since re-released the retrofit glass for early model Xs, which is the latest three-month delay.

Allegedly, once this new glass arrives around the one year mark, they should be able to put everything back together and be good to go. But the body shop isn't getting our hopes up based on how everything has gone up to this point...

Of course, hindsight being 20/20, we'd have gladly taken the hit to be in another vehicle now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Usaa sucks big time, they just pray on the military folks as they don’t know there are better companies out there. I recently sued their client for 10k because they were so arrogant and were trying to nickel and dime me. Btw I am guessing this accident is your fault and you are claiming your own insurance?

I actually changed my rental coverage to no daily limit but $5000 limit overall.

Usaa sucks big time, they just pray on the military folks as they don’t know there are better companies out there. I recently sued their client for 10k because they were so arrogant and were trying to nickel and dime me. Btw I am guessing this accident is your fault and you are claiming your own insurance?

I actually changed my rental coverage to no daily limit but $5000 limit overall.

I'm definitely looking into that with whoever we go with next.

The original incident labeled my wife at fault. Unfortunately, she was turning through a clear intersection when someone apparently came in hot to a lane of stopped cars and changed lanes, clipping her rear quarter panel. These repairs should have taken an estimated three months to complete according to the body shop. Well, three months for parts to arrive from Tesla and possibly a week to fix.

The extensive damage, and why we're here almost a year later, is comprehensive, since baseball-sized hail destroying a car is considered an act of God. It also demolished numerous other Teslas and luxury vehicles awaiting repairs at the body shop. Admittedly, I'm still not 100% understanding of how the body shop isn't responsible for damage to high-end cars from not keeping them under cover—vehicles which are otherwise kept in garages unless at their shop.

Don't forget to add a replacement battery as they have most likely trashed yours by not keeping the vehicle charged for a year.

Can you get interim payments from them? At least for fuel.

OP have you tried escalating this delayed repair through Tesla? I don't know if Jon McNeil is the appropriate person but sure someone here knows. A number of months ago Tesla addressed the long delays some people were having and I recall they asked to be contacted directly if repair time was becoming excessive due to parts. Know there are thread posts on this somewhere. Good luck with the car and wanted to say how glad I am that your wife came out of this so well.

thanks telectric, post: 2486845, member: 51237 [ 2016 Signature Series P90D.] 2x strikes Carfax. for attempting the idea, for providing results, and especially for confirming my numbers with your real world experience, using actual data. I'm sorry that this hasn't worked out (to understate the pains) for you.

I see your attempt to reach and/or redefine 'totaled' on every front, including legal approaches, but did there exist a moment in time - early perhaps - where the choice existed to keep an insurance check, and walk? Saying, albeit with some sarcasm, "I'll handle this, thanks for your help." Followed thereafter by, 'Tow your 'X' home, and pursue the 'not totaled' approach. The use of the repair money to 'accomplish the repair'. . . . Not to be finding faults (with respect), but to serve to identify a stage in the process that the OP may be able seek for his case . Just wondering.

The additional potential troubles [opened by intrinsic, inevitable delays] have further served to compound your pain for the seemingly interminable Era. A valuable and important point . I'd like to credit you for it. May I add it to the pros and cons of my original, theoretical approach to 'out of the box' EV repair.
Thank you again when you second my considered conclusion, with your summary, "Of course, hindsight being 20/20, we'd have gladly taken the [$25K] hit to be in another vehicle now."

I'm hoping you and I will be heard and considered as you have provided some excellent guidance to the OP, DrivingTheFuture, as he continues to undertake his ordeal in 2018.
-- DaveyJane, Dave 'and' Jane, 2015 model S 85D.(1 strike Carfax) .

You know, i've been thinking along the lines of that since the insurance companies are wanting to do repairs to vehicles, they should be required to give us the option of buying us out. Then they could complete the repairs and sell the vehicle off at a later time. Once they figure out that it'll take 6 months to a year to repair a tesla, they will be more willing to total it out and save the consumers the hassle. But they really are not in it for the consumers, are they?

Likewise, if the other party is at fault, make them (or their insurance company) buy us out. Then we can move on with our lives rather. What do you think?

Reactions: vandacca
OP have you tried escalating this delayed repair through Tesla? I don't know if Jon McNeil is the appropriate person but sure someone here knows. A number of months ago Tesla addressed the long delays some people were having and I recall they asked to be contacted directly if repair time was becoming excessive due to parts. Know there are thread posts on this somewhere. Good luck with the car and wanted to say how glad I am that your wife came out of this so well.

@JonMc bringing to your attention crash repairs taking a year...

You know, i've been thinking along the lines of that since the insurance companies are wanting to do repairs to vehicles, they should be required to give us the option of buying us out. Then they could complete the repairs and sell the vehicle off at a later time. Once they figure out that it'll take 6 months to a year to repair a tesla, they will be more willing to total it out and save the consumers the hassle. But they really are not in it for the consumers, are they?

Likewise, if the other party is at fault, make them (or their insurance company) buy us out. Then we can move on with our lives rather. What do you think?

Problem is that they will respond by putting up premiums for Tesla owners. They are already high enough.