Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Oil Dipping Undercarriage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Forum,
I bought a Model Y and have got 5k miles now and got my first wax and detail. My family commonly gets their ICE vehicles oil dipped meaning a shop would cost the bottom with an oil substance to reduce rust and corrosion. Is this something that would be also safe for BEV vehicles or is it not recommended? Some people paint frames and some people oil dip. I live in Michigan where we have salt use during the winter and I wanted to ask before my vehicles 1st winter. I don’t see what harm as everything would be a closed system.

Thanks

Hello Forum,
I bought a Model Y and have got 5k miles now and got my first wax and detail. My family commonly gets their ICE vehicles oil dipped meaning a shop would cost the bottom with an oil substance to reduce rust and corrosion. Is this something that would be also safe for BEV vehicles or is it not recommended? Some people paint frames and some people oil dip. I live in Michigan where we have salt use during the winter and I wanted to ask before my vehicles 1st winter. I don’t see what harm as everything would be a closed system.

Thanks
*coat not cost

If I was in an area where salt is used on the roads in winter I would certainly add some mud flaps and paint coating.

Note: I would recommend watching some videso from Bjørn Nyland from Norway about his ten years old Model S:

Bilexperten Bosch inspecting 2013 Model S P85 (Millennium Falcon)

If you use an automatic car wash be sure to purchase the undercarriage wash.

The underside of the Tesla Model Y includes plastic aero panels (can't rust.)

When the temperature is above freezing you can periodically use a pressure washer with an angle attachment to flush out any dirt, road salt from the wheels, brakes and the suspension components getting behind the wheels. Never heard of spraying oil on undercarriage. Wouldn't this tend to hold dirt?