Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarriage damage. Does it need to be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a heavy rainstorm the other night, with poor visibility, I managed to make the bonehead move of running my 2023 Model Y up onto a concrete median. Fortunately, it wasn't very high and had sloped edges, but I did hear and feel a substantial thud. Inspecting the undercarriage the next day, I noticed I had ripped out a jagged piece (about 2 x 6 inches) of the central plastic undercarriage cover, right about where it meets up with the front plastic cover, along the centerline of the vehicle. A steel tubular bar that was under the cover was scratched. I assume that bar is there to protect the battery from idiots like me and did its job accordingly. My question is, how important is that plastic undercarriage cover? Do I need to have the whole thing replaced, have a patch put over the hole, or just leave it like it is? My thinking is that it's there to prevent road debris from reaching the battery and the hole should at least be patched. I made an appointment with a local Tesla certified collision shop so they can take a look at it, but they can't get me in until the end of February. I'll be fretting over it until then and will probably at least cover the hole with some duct tape for my own peace of mind. Any thoughts, other than about my bad driving? I have attached a couple of pictures. They're not great, but it was the best I could do without putting the vehicle on a lift.

Attachments

• Pic1.png
    Pic1.png
    744.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Pic2.png
    Pic2.png
    961.8 KB · Views: 35
The bar is (part of) the front subframe. The plastic should be replaced, message tesla within your app for the part and do it yourself or have them install for extra $$.

A better option would be to go to Amazon and order the metal skidplates/undertrays

Reactions: jmaddr
I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic skid plate started buffeting and breaking apart when driving on a highway. Might want to use "200-MPH NASCAR" duct tape for the time being.

I'd agree with @buckets0fun, time to get an aftermarket skid plate; don't bother with a factory plastic one.

Thank you both for your replies. They were very helpful. I took a look at the aluminum skid plates available on Amazon and it seems like the most popular one is made for the Model 3 but happens to fit most Model Y's. I couldn't find one that was specific to the Model Y. So, instead, I ordered one from RPM Tesla. It's about twice the price, but it's made of powder-coated 1/8" thick aluminum and has an insulation layer. I think it will hold up pretty well if I do something dumb like this again.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Thank you both for your replies. They were very helpful. I took a look at the aluminum skid plates available on Amazon and it seems like the most popular one is made for the Model 3 but happens to fit most Model Y's. I couldn't find one that was specific to the Model Y. So, instead, I ordered one from RPM Tesla. It's about twice the price, but it's made of powder-coated 1/8" thick aluminum and has an insulation layer. I think it will hold up pretty well if I do something dumb like this again.
3/Y use same trays.

Can’t go wrong with any of the available versions. You may find you will want the rear one, too. Same simple install on a standard height Y.

Reactions: zoomer0056