Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on CBS National News Nov. 19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QUESTION: Based on the given sample size, what is the margin of error?

ANSWER: Let's calculate the margin of error.

Disclaimer: I'm not a statistics guy by any stretch, indeed, needed to google the formula to get the answer.
Source: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-calculate-the-margin-of-error-for-a-sample0.html
Assumptions: For this argument we will assume 3 fires per 19000 Model S. We will assume confidence interval of 95% is desired as per BillHamp's post, and as it seems to be a rather common confidence interval.

[...]
you can conclude with 95% confidence that somewhere between -0.0021% and 0.0337% of Model S cars catch fire.

My take: Looks to me that we still have a pretty wide margin of error (so as everyone has been suggesting, we need a larger sample size before we really know what's going on). Based on this calculation, for the next 19000 cars we should expect anywhere between approximately 0 and 6 fires with 95% confidence.

Thanks for digging to the ground here, Clay. But I think it was the wrong hole. The linked math page talks about standard normal (Z-) distribution which is applicable to values strewing left and right of an average value. As Mario Kadastik already pointed out, with 3 fires in 19.000 cars we have a distribution that is near the limit of 0. You applied the error margin and got a negative value for the left hand border value of the 95% confidence interval. This indicates trouble for the validity of your results.

For values strewing near a border value (e.g. zero here), the Poisson distribution must be applied. I don't grok the math there ATM.
But any calculation for the 95% confidence interval should result in positive error margin values for the 3 fires. Further, the probability for ZERO fires for one year while the car population grew from 0 to 19.000 should lie in the 95% confidence interval, too. If these two cannot be fulfilled, we don't have a statistical (=random) series of events and other factors are in play.