Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OS features - Geofencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
There needs to be a place to talk about features common to all Teslas, this is the closest I could find

I am curious about what features can be Geofenced. My impression from a week of use is the HomeLink garage door opening won't work outside your home's geofence. Also the Air Suspension (not available for the M3). Last item I have seen works with this concept is software updates being prioritized to service centers.

Is there more? An easter egg or two?

I am curious why the Set Charge Limit isn't fenced. If I am at home I don't really need to charge more than 80% for all my daily use. But if I am at a free charger I'ma gonna want to fill up more, like give me everything you got. If I am at a supercharger set it to 90% as that last 10% takes too long, but I probably don't have great plans so give me lots of cushion in case I don't see another place to charge for a while.

I don't know that Climate Controls doesn't do this already, but if I am shopping I would not be mad if it kept the car cool while I am inside, maybe for a 1/2 hour so I come out and the car is not blisteringly hot. This may already be the case. But when I am arriving at home, no reason to continue to cool, or heat. I'ma gonna be here a whiles. Perhaps entering low power mode so I don't eat thru all my charge, just stop all those clicks and clunks and rest apiece.

I am sure there is more, but wanted to start a thread while I was thinking about it. I know there is an App for Android that does the charging trick I mentioned above, but I am an iOS boy. Also, not sure if all these apps I have beating on my car are not the reason for my huge Phantom Loss. And if I could get camping mode w/o buying an app that would make me happier, my dog too.

-Randy

I actually had another angle on a geofencing request. It would be great to be able to enable and possibly even define a geofence for the car that notifies my phone when it enters or leaves that space.

First use example being if I leave the car with Valet, I now can watch it’s location on the app where it goes and is parked, but then it would be nice to set a geofence boundary no notify me if it leaves that area. Then I can relax and enjoy my evening out without the fear of the valet dude playing out a Ferris Bueller scene.

Secondly, if the girlfriend takes the car out, or a detail service takes the car for awhile, I wish that I could set up a geofence where the car was when parked before they borrowed it. It would be great to then get notified on my phone immediately upon its return.

Just a couple ideas and I’m wondering if there is any app out there that does this, or it would be nice to see something emerge in an update from the factory...

Thanks for your time,
D

I actually had another angle on a geofencing request. It would be great to be able to enable and possibly even define a geofence for the car that notifies my phone when it enters or leaves that space.

First use example being if I leave the car with Valet, I now can watch it’s location on the app where it goes and is parked, but then it would be nice to set a geofence boundary no notify me if it leaves that area. Then I can relax and enjoy my evening out without the fear of the valet dude playing out a Ferris Bueller scene.

Secondly, if the girlfriend takes the car out, or a detail service takes the car for awhile, I wish that I could set up a geofence where the car was when parked before they borrowed it. It would be great to then get notified on my phone immediately upon its return.

Just a couple ideas and I’m wondering if there is any app out there that does this, or it would be nice to see something emerge in an update from the factory...

Thanks for your time,
D
I agree and have been very surprised that Tesla does not include a geofencing option in Valet Mode. Before Tesla, I had three MB S class vehicles that all included a 1mile radius geofence option for Valet Mode that would send you a text if the vehicle ever left the geofence zone. Tesla should add this to all their vehicles.