Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Partners With Liberty Mutual for Insurance Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to offer insurance specifically designed for its electric cars through a partnership with Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Chief Executive Elon Musk has previously taken issue with the insurance industry’s handling of Tesla vehicles, like insurer AAA raising rates on Tesla vehicles in some markets, citing high claim frequencies and costs. Musk said in June that Tesla figures the average cost of insuring a Model S or Model X is about 5 percent lower than for other premium vehicles.

According the the support page, the insurance benefits include:

New Car Replacement – Allows for a brand new car within the first year in case of a total loss

Rate guaranteed for one year

Genuine Replacement Parts

Optional 24-Hour Roadside Assistance beyond the Tesla Warranty

Optional Rental Car Reimbursement to pay your rental costs for as long as it takes to fix your Tesla

Claims Valet Service to drop off a rental car at the scene or schedule a swap at an agreed upon time and place

Tesla has partnered to offer insurance for owners in almost 20 countries, but the this is the first time the program has come to the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberty came in at about $180 less a year for me through this new initiative, which at the time of my S purchase, liberty's quote was one of the highest. Since I have no changes other wise, seems like they may have actually worked in some partnerships. Maybe whatever had Liberty being so high for being a Tesla was lowered? Liberty has never been lover than Progressive for me, and it is now.

Although now I debate if the $180 over a year is worth the change, specially since I've read progressive has been shown to lower at renewal, where I deal Liberty may go even higher having been higher before.

The constant follow up calls and emails about my quote is not helping me decide for it either.

I had the worst experience with Liberty Mutual. Going through the claims process after we were rear-ended was horrible, even going through the initial call to report the incident was automated call continual loop hell. They couldn't wait to raise my premiums, and I said see ya! Got a quote from a lizard spokesman company for 30% less.