Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raleigh, NC RDU service center, service experiences from Google reviews, mostly BAD ??? wtf !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this Raleigh, NC Tesla service center's service experience THAT BAD ?

Damn

1713760636564.png

It's probably hit and miss.

One of my own personal complaints is that Tesla thinks that we want to communicate only with our phones and not deal with people at all. You schedule your service appointment using the app and all communication is done via messaging in the app. Even when you drop your car off and pick it up you just leave it in the parking lot and pick it up, without ever speaking to a human being.

Sometimes I want to speak to an ADVISOR to even determine if I have a problem at all, or ask whether this is going to be a quick fix that I might wait for, or whether I need to arrange for a ride and give them a full day. In a traditional dealership, I would pull up to the service bay, check in with an advisor that I can ask questions in real time, or explain a complicated problem that would take me 15 minutes to explain typing into my phone.

The Tesla service center used to have this kind of approach, but post-COVID they seemed to have stuck with a completely contactless approach (actually I can't say what it's like today, because I haven't had my own car in for service in quite awhile).

That's not to say that the experience is all negative. First of all, many services can be done right at home (or work) and you don't need to visit the service center at all. And I do think they try to prioritize fairly. If your car is undriveable, they will try to get you in more quickly, but if it's a cosmetic or noise or some other minor issue, it may take a few weeks to work you in. I don't necessarily mind this approach, but it does mean that you might get frustrated if they are booking appointments 2-3 weeks out for that minor issue you have.

But then sometimes you are left scratching your head. My own experience is that my car needed something (I can't even remember now) for which I needed to drop it off at the service center. I made the appointment and dropped off the car in the parking lot. Since I wasn't able to talk to anyone about what their schedule looked like that day (I specifically made the first appointment of the day as they had instructed me previously as those cars get looked at first), I decided to Uber to work. Since it was early (and the first driver cancelled the trip for some reason), it took about 30-40 minutes for my ride to arrive, and then 15 minutes to get to work. I had literally just gotten out of the Uber when I got a message in my app saying my car was ready to pick up! So then I waited another 20 minutes for another Uber to arrive, 15 minutes to drive to Tesla, and then picked up my car. Had I been able to just talk to someone when I dropped it off, they probably could have told me they were going to get it right in and I should probably wait. I think in the end they didn't do anything that day anyway because they needed a part they didn't have or some such issue. Very frustrating.

I only had good experiences there, but I agree, the focus on solely using the app for communication can be frustrating at times. One time, when I needed to talk to a human in service, I went into the show room, and they ended up getting me connected with a tech in person. (This was not in Raleigh, but in Charlotte when I was on a trip and got a flat.)